We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach?

Pittsburg, Kansas...
Level Contributor
134 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach?

Greetings!

We'll be in Chicago July 26, 27 and 28. We want to spend at least a couple of hours relaxing at a beach. Which one should we visit?

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,055 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach?

It depends on what you want from a beach (do you have children or do you want to be able to eat, etc)..where you are staying and how far you want to travel. If you just want to lay out in the sun, any beach will do.

Pittsburg, Kansas...
Level Contributor
134 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach?

Ok. Good call. Great questions. No kids. Four adults ages 25-33. We're staying downtown, probably at the Hyatt Chicago Magnificent Mile. We certainly don't want to travel far from there, and we want to be in a safe area where we can eat and just soak in some sun.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,128 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach?

Oak Street Beach is a few blocks from your hotel at the north end of Michigan Ave. The concierge will give you directions. North Ave beach is adjacent to Oak St beach to the north. Ohio Street beach is just east of you in front of Navy Pier but that has too many children.

Downtown Chicago is very safe. The beaches are very safe.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 15:10
chicago
Level Contributor
8,510 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach?

North avenue is best for adults

Pittsburg, Kansas...
Level Contributor
134 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach?

Ok. Great! I was actually leaning toward Oak Street and North Avenue, so that helps a lot. Thanks!

Q
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best beach?

Definitely stick with either Oak Street or North Avenue Beach! You'll have a great time!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,175 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best beach?

North and Oak will be great if you want a busy beach with lots of people. They're also easily accessible from downtown. If you wanted something quiet, I'd suggest going further north to Montrose or south to the 12 street beach right next to the Planetarium, but those take a little more effort to get to from the downtown hotels.

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,441 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best beach?

Going to a beach is really more of at least a 1/2 day affair, even for the ones closest to your hotel, when you consider that you have to travel there and then probably back to your hotel to shower and change afterwards.

Getting to Montrose Beach would take almost the entire couple of hours in commuting there and back, even taking the Red Line 'L and not a bus. If you look at the map of the website I'm supplying below, you'll see where it is in relation to the others and, since it links to Google Maps, you can easily see the travel times for the various types of conveyances.

To get to the 12th Street Beach, it could be as little as an hour RT (if you are staying in the Loop, maybe even the southern part of River North) or as much as 1.5 hours (if you are near the top of the Mag. Mile) for just traveling via public transportation, depending on where your hotel is located in downtown Chicago.

Whichever beach you decide, please check this website before heading out: www.cpdbeaches.com/home.cfm It will give you information on whether there are any advisories or swim bans in effect; water temp. and so forth. It also shows the amenities for each beach.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 19:43
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,119 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best beach?

i agree, north ave beach #1 and oak st #2 in my book...

but, to appreciate your lakefront experience even more, rent bikes. ride the lakefront bike trail----a GREAT way to spend the day and to cover a lot of ground. the above post mentions commute time to the other beaches---bikes would make mince meat out of those travel times........

Edited: 10 July 2014, 01:24
Forest Park...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best beach?

North Avenue beach is more lively, i think. If that's what you're looking for, go for that. If you are looking for something more relaxing, and slightly closer to your hotel, do Oak Street. Can't go wrong with either.