We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I mad ?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Am I mad ?

Travelling to the State's in late January. I've been quite a few times but never been to Chicago. Am I crazy to go in January ?

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
United States
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I mad ?

Might be O.K. though. The weather is always hit and miss, but for sure it will be cold, but hopefully not a blizzard or record cold conditions.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I mad ?

If it were me, I would not choose Chicago in January. From your profile photo, it looks like you are fond of snow? There are plenty of indoor pursuits to keep you busy in the colder months... it's just walking to them in the bitter cold that's bad.

BTW, we are having a particularly delightful summer.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52,940 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I mad ?

You'll find better hotel rates, less crowds at museums and the usual tourist attractions, and wonderful theater options. Why not come in January? www.choosechicago.com

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,124 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I mad ?

Yes - January sucks.

B.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I mad ?

If you are mad to visit here in January, millions are mad that live here in January.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,685 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I mad ?

Depends what you want to do while here. It'll be very cold so not good for walking around, boat tours, etc. But if you wNt to go to the museums, theaters, and don't mind the cold it is fine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I mad ?

I live here and don't mind the winter but I would not visit in January. This is such a beautiful city for the beaches, for just walking around, for doing a Frank Lloyd Wright architecture walk in Oak Park, for taking the river boat architectural cruise, for a lazy afternoon in Millenium Park etc etc. There will be plenty to do indoors if this is your only chance for a visit -- it is a GREAT museum city from the Art Institute to the Shedd Aquarium to the Museum of Science and Industry -- and of course in winter the Opera companies (Lyric and Chicago Opera Theater) and numerous theaters and comedy clubs -- BUT it is still nicer in spring, summer or fall. So if you must come at that time of year, it will be fine, but you will do better IMHO in a warmer season.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Mentioned in this post
Shedd Aquarium
Shedd Aquarium
8,178 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Museum of Science and Industry
Museum of Science and...
8,767 Reviews
Chicago, IL
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I mad ?

no, and here's why i don't think so.....

here's a post on the subject in a recent thread:

tripadvisor.com/…59633350

nevertheless, our winters can be flaky---40's and rain, which sucks more than anything.... that said, if you're looking for winter fun, then you need to go somewhere that has more reliable winters such as the western mountains (rockies, sierras, cascades etc), or up north to upper michigan, northern wisc and northern minnesota.......

Edited: 12 July 2014, 21:34
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
651 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I mad ?

Thank you all. Some diversity of opinion :)

The actual cold does not particularly worry me. I've been to New York and Montreal in February. I suppose what I'm most worried about is whether January will mean I don't get to experience some of the best of Chicago.

Cheers from winter down under.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,744 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I mad ?

you'll get to experience most of it.... obviously, going to the beach as you would in the summer is not an option, HOWEVER, it is nice to walk along the lakefront during winter, especially if there's snow and ice----very interesting ice formations form on the lake during winter... heck, rent xc skis and shush along in lincoln park...

weather.com/news/science/nature/great-lakes-…

these pix are most likely from lake superior, but i've seen and photographed/taped similar formations right along our coast....

obviously, there won't be any baseball games, but you can still check out wrigley field, and, if you're willing to pay, you could check out a bulls or blackhawks game....

but as far as the museums, shows, eateries, music venues, architecture (no cruises in the winter time, but you might find a walking tour), the FREE lincoln park zoo, etc you can do these any time of the year.... in fact, i'd rather do the indoorsy stuff during the winter because i would find it hard to be inside during the nice summer weather....

if there's any erroneous or ridiculous info in this post, please let me know......