We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Hi! My husband and I are going for a quick trip to Chicago from Toronto. Our trip coincides with Lollapallooza - I didn't realize at the time but I would have booked anyway to make use of the long weekend :)

1. Will Lolla affect our stay at all? Will we be able to go visit Grant Park?

2. We'll be staying at E Wacker/Michican (Club Quarters by Wacker). We'll have a car but we're leaning towards walking to Lincoln Park Zoo & Wrigley Field (cabbing back if we get tired)... is that do-able / would the walk be through "safe" neighbourhoods?

3. We'll arrive around midnight Friday Aug 1 - any ideas of what dinner we can have delivered to the hotel? The closest Lou Maltani closes at 11pm. Plus probably shouldn't eat something too heavy.

4. Below is what I'd like to see/eat, I've grouped it based on what's nearby. Maybe I can't do it all but that's ok! Would love to get any feedback - e.g. if there's a best time to see a certain attraction.

Thanks in advance!!

-----

Lou Mitchell's Restaurant

Willis Tower

Buckingham Fountain/Grant Park - not sure if can visit during Lollapalooza?

Bean/Cloud Gate/Crown Fountain/Millenium Park

Chicago Cultural Center

Macy's on State Street

--------

Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe

Walk along Mag Mile

Walk to Lincoln Park Zoo/Conservatory

Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool

Mon Ami Gabi - opens at 5pm

Molly's Cupcakes

Walk to Wrigley Field - $25 tour, ~90 minutes

ONLY IF TAKING CAR: Tassili OR Hagen's Fish Market for food

Otherwise: Chicago Diner or on the way back: Big & Littles (closed on Sundays, closes at 9 otherwise)

---------

Architecture boat tour - 90 mins

Aqua Tower

Navy Pier (I know TA doesn't think highly of it but a friend strongly suggested it)

----------

Other food within 1.5km of hotel:

Shaw's Crab House for lunch

Firecakes Donuts or Doughnut Vault

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria

Edited: 25 July 2014, 04:17
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Lolla will take up much of Grant Park and the music and crowds will spill over into the adjacent areas. After the festival, the park will need to be cleaned and repaired for a couple of days.

Your hotel is very close to the dock for the CAF Boat Tour, and the park and Aqua, etc, are also easy to see. Wildberry is very close to Aqua.

Go to the Willis on a clear day.

I think if you are walking up to the zoo (2+ miles) and to Wrigley (another 1+ mile) you'll want to take a cab or the Red Line back to your hotel (Addison station just east of Wrigley, and your hotel is near the Lake St. station.) A better plan would be to take the train to the Wrigley tour first, then walk south through the zoo, ending at Mon Ami Gabi.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 04:34
pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Because of Lolla, you may want to reserve parking in advance. Try www.spothero.com Prices may be steeper and scarcer than normal.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,884 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

i'd rather recommend the signature lounge in the john hancock tower over the SEARS tower. grab a bite, and the views are FREE!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

It looks like most of your "sites" are food. :-) I think you can add some stuff to your itinerary.

Whatever friend recommended Navy Pier must like over-priced, bad food and souvenirs. What did they like about it? IMO, it's hard to convey just how over-rated it is. It's a nice view back to the city. The Ferris Wheel is kind of fun. If you have kids, you can take them to the Children's Museum. That's it.

Macy's on State is just another store these days. Nothing particularly unusual or interesting about it. Like department stores anywhere.

All the areas you're talking about walking around are perfectly safe, although from your hotel to Wrigley is at least an hour to 90 minute walk if you don't stop.

And in case you do not know what the previous poster is referring to, Sears Tower is the old name for the Willis Tower.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,648 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

I would suggest The Hancock over The Willis tower. (It's been The Willis for 5 years but some people hold on to the past). You really don't have much more than medium range dining and touristy things to do on your last. Congrats on finding Chicago Diner! If your friend wanted to stay your friend they would have not recommended Navy Pier. Look at the Chicago menu bar "Things to do" and the Top Questions "What to do". Also surf your dates at www.chosechicago.com.

Lollapalooza will take up Grant Park but Millennium Park should be open for tourists. The attendees will be in the southern park and your itinerary is in the northern park.

To get from downtown to the zoo take the #22 Clark Street bus. Your hotel can direct you. It is walkable if you have the time and comfy shoes ( 3 miles). Get out to the neighborhoods. You'll be in Wrigleyville so go a few blocks west to the Southport Corridor. Another day hang around Old Town and the Gold Coast. You will not be near any unsafe neighborhoods.

Park your car and forget it until you leave or budget an extra $40+ per day parking costs.

6. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 July 2014, 22:07
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Thank you for the feedback! Just purchased my parking :)

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Thanks! Is the only advantage over Sears Tower/Willis Tower that it's free?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Is my love for food that obvious? ;)

I've just asked my friend why she recommended Navy Pier. I saw the TA negativity on it, but I'd like to go on the ferris wheel and I'm only a short walk away, so figured why not!

You said you think I could add stuff to my itinerary and then mentioned a couple things I should take off lol. Anything in particular you think should be added?

Edited: 25 July 2014, 22:13
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicago trip Aug 2-4

Just realized hitting reply doesn't show who I'm replying to. Whoops. My bad for anyone trying to follow this thread.

shallow_shoals:

Thanks for the feedback!!

Why do you suggest Hancock Tower instead of Willis?

I'll look into Southport Corridor, Old Town & the Gold Coast - anything particular to see there?