We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ravinia Park concerts...

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ravinia Park concerts...

My girl and I will be in Chicago for 6 days/5 nights over Labor Day and while there will be attending the Billy Corgan concert at Ravinia on Aug. 30th

My question is, we are staying on the Mile downtown, but are there things to see near Ravinia that would justify us spending the whole day in that neighborhood?

We love to get out and explore, enjoy craft beer, avid photographer, and won't have a car (we don't mind walking/public transit).

So any place you all recommend nearby to check out is much appreciated. Also is there a bus/train out that way or do we need to cab it?

Thanks...

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

Getting there by train is actually more convenient than driving. The train stops right at the park entrance. See http://www.ravinia.org/Page/PlanVisit

If you want to spend a day photographing, check out the Botanic Garden. There should be shuttles from its parking area to Ravinia. www.chicagobotanic.org

The two closest towns are Highland Park and Glencoe. Both are upscale lakeside towns with old fashioned downtowns complete with train stops, shops and restaurants.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,793 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

You might want to take Metra up to Highland Park to wander around and have an early dinner. Ravinia runs free shuttle buses from downtown Highland Park to Ravinia. You'll catch the shuttle on the east side of the Metra tracks.

Brookfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

I would say spend the majority of you time in downtown Chicago, then hop the train and see the show. (Hopefully Billy sings ok, as sometimes live he can be a little rough and off) After the show you will be on the train full of drunks..so sit back and enjoy the show after the show.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

take the CTA or METRA up to evanston.... spend a few hours browsing around... walk along the lakefront and/or northwestern university.... have lunch... have a beer.... it's a great downtown.... then, hop back onto the METRA and take it north to ravinia---ride should be only 20 minutes give or take.....

AND/OR, if gardens are your thing, check out the mentioned botanic gardens... the front gate of the gardens is walking distance to the front gate of ravinia---about a mile, or less.... oh, and the gardens are FREE..... bring your camera.....

AND/OR, rent canoes/kayaks here:

chicagoriverpaddle.com/rent/lagoons-winnetka

you'll have to take a cab from the winnetka METRA station to the goons, then another cab to RAVINIA....

btw, just went canoeing out there today and we saw cormorants, blue herons, geese and i believe a kingfisher.... deer are common and coyotes live there too.... bring your camera and a waterproof bag....

if architecture is your thing, this is right off the end of the CTA purple line:

http://www.bahai.us/bahai-temple/

lots of historic mansions and cobblestone streets in the area.... spend some time at the nearby beautiful gilson park/beach, which is one of the few FREE illinois beaches outside the city of chicago.... long walk to the METRA, so you might have to cab it to the wilmette METRA station.....

if you got out early, you could conceivably do most/all of the above attractions/activities.... take the METRA up to evanston.... but beforehand, find out if any of their bike shops rent bikes..... if so (i'm guessing there's bike rentals in downtown evanston---google is your friend), rent bikes for the day and explore everything i mentioned via the greenbay bike trail and the north branch bike trail.... return your bikes by 3-4 PM, then hop the METRA and see the show...........

so YES, it is DEFINITELY worth spending the day in the area before the show.............

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,423 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

Just so you know, Ravinia isn't in a Chicago neighborhood, it's in a suburb about 45 minutes north of Chicago. Unless you want to see something special, like the Botanical Gardens, which are very nice, I would not spend an entire day up there. Maybe a late lunch and walk around a bit and head to the show.

Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

Thanks for the tips/insight. Taking the train, the botanical gardens, and kayaking all sound like winners!

7. Re: Ravinia Park concerts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16