We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday ideas

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Friday ideas

Me and my little brother are planning a weekend visit and need some help with the final details.

We will be driving in Friday August 21st late morning. The only thing we have planned is a Italian food tour downtown @ 7pm. Any other suggestion for the rest of the afternoon.

Saturday is six flags.

Sunday visit to the navy pier, the bean, cirque Shanghai, maybe the Lincoln zoo if there's time.

Did I over plan on Sunday.

Lastly any great shopping places that won't eat up an entire paycheck but allow me to come home with a great find????

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday ideas

Check www.choosechicago.com for ideas of things to see/do here.

If you're driving up to Gurnee, the Gurnee Mills outlet mall is about a mile west of the park.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,449 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday ideas

Cirque Shanghai is on NavyPier so that's a 2 for 1 visit. No, you haven't over-planned but it's always best to be flexible with your schedule.

pgo
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday ideas

I know you have plans, but makes more sense to hit Six Flags on your arrival day, maybe staying over in Gurnee or somewhere south of it since you'll be tired. Then, drive into the city on Saturday morning (it's 40 miles). This will save you over $100 in hotel fees and help avoid weekday traffic.

Sunday on Navy Pier will be very crowded ( and it's under construction). Take public transportation or walk. See www.navypier.com/visit_us/visit_home.html

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,769 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday ideas

second the staying in gurnee friday nite idea----you will be driving right by it on your way downtown if you take I-94 via milwaukee------i usually recommend taking this route to road trippers coming in from the west.... no sense in wasting precious time backtracking 40 miles+traffic each way.... then, either saturday nite, or EARLY sunday morn, drive downtown....

do you plan to stay sunday nite, then drive home monday?? if you plan to drive home monday, then you'll have a full day on sunday, but if you plan to leave some time on sunday, then plan to stay downtown saturday nite to maximize your time downtown on sunday... just be advised, you'll pay obnoxiously high parking fees ($40-60 is to be expected) to park downtown overnight.... be sure to take ALL your belongings, including loose change, sunglasses, CD's etc from your vehicle, or you it might find it all missing, along with shattered glass all over the interior of your car....

Edited: 08 August 2014, 17:36
5. Re: Friday ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:17