We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tentative itinerary

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
tentative itinerary

Hi all.

I will be coming to Chicago soon from a Saturday to Tuesday trip.

Can you please let me know if you see any issues with the below itinerary?

I want to include some time for walking along Michigan avenue and perhaps a visit to the United center but that looks kinda far off

Saturday

field museum

lou malnati's south loop for lunch

white Sox game

dinner somewhere (haven't figured out yet)

Navy pier

Sunday

Wildberry for breakfast

planetarium

maxwell street market

Hang out in millennium park area

John Hancock in evening

big & littles

jazz club in evening

Monday

shedd aquarium

holy name cathedral

Willis tower

Tuesday

Billy goat tavern

money museum

surgical museum

Chicago history museum

cubs game

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tentative itinerary

Wow that is a lot! Here is my breakdown.

Saturday - field museum, lou malnati's south loop for lunch, white Sox game, dinner somewhere (haven't figured out yet), Navy pier

*this is probably too much in one day. The field can take HOURS and plus a game? I would leave Navy Pier off the list. If you are near the south side for the game, try Ricobene's for a sandwich/dinner.

Sunday - Wildberry for breakfast, planetarium, maxwell street market, Hang out in millennium park area, John Hancock in evening, big & littles, jazz club in evening

*again, alot in one day. I would do the Hancock around dinnertime; you will have less people to fight with and the view is still nice at that time. Green Mill or Kingston mines for jazz - classic Chicago.

Monday - shedd aquarium, holy name cathedral, Willis tower

*Shedd can take HOURS as well so plan on that. If you do the Hancock, why do the Willis? Maybe take the Blue line to Damen stop and walk around Wicker park/Bucktown. Or head to Lincoln park (armitage/halstead) for shopping and food (Cafe Babareeba, Taco Joint)

Tuesday - Billy goat tavern, money museum, surgical museum, Chicago history museum, cubs game

*Interesting mix. Leave enough time for the game and go early to walk around people-watch. Lots of fun activities pre-game.

And maybe get some Garrett's popcorn to snack on the way home! :)

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,464 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tentative itinerary

Take a cab or the red line to Chinatown for dinner after the Sox game.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tentative itinerary

Only planning to do the Willis and John Hancock buildings because both are in the city pass and I'm not interested in the other options.

I was thinking the itinerary was a little empty :)

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tentative itinerary

why not go to mass at hnc on sunday?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tentative itinerary

WAY too much.

The Field, Shedd Aquarium and Alder Planetarium are together at the "Museum Campus. Try to do those together. Two is enough for one day.

White Sox's Cellular Field is on the Red line. Eat at Chinatown (Cermak Station on the Red Line) on your way back downtown. Forget Navy Pier. It's a tourist trap.

Wildberry on Sunday will have an hour wait (minimum).

Maxwell Street Market hasn't been the real Maxwell Street Market for a decade or more. You used to be able to buy a new hot bicycle or copper tubing for cheap.

Big & Little's is an 8 block walk off Michigan Ave. Safe and doable but ½ hour stroll. Andy's Jazz is back downtown. Catching a cab at B&L should be easy as Orleans St. is a taxi thoroughfare. Or take the Brown Line Elevated train at Chicago Ave. to Belmont and change to the Red LIne northbound to Lawrence Ave station for The Green Mill.

There is absolutely no reason, including that they are both on the City Pass, to do both the Willis and the Hancock. Sometimes the City Pass is not a good option.

Your Monday list is only 3 items long but will take more than all day because you're jumping all over the downtown area. You can do it but why would you?

Go to the Cathedral for Mass on Sunday. Its Victorian splendor was ruined in the 1960s. The interior is now Lady Bird Johnson modern. St. James Episcopal Cathedral has done much better in retaining its architectural and decorative heritage. 4th Presbyterian, across from the Hancock, is a neo-Gothic wonder. You might want to see the Tiffany Windows at St. James Chapel on Saturday when it is open to tours. (The Diocese Seat/Offices including the Cardinals office at the old Quigley Seminary at Rush and Delaware.)

Tuesday is also fragmented. Money and Surgical museums are in the South Loop, Billy Goat is in River North, Chicago Historical Museum is in Lincoln Park and Wrigley is in Lakeview (5 miles north of downtown) Forget one or more of your list and go to Wrigleyville early and enjoy the crowds and vitality of pre-game in the area. Plenty of places to eat. Totally different than the area around Sox Park. Be sure to take the Red Line from State St. downtown to the Addison Station for Wrigley Field. That's half the excitement of going to the game. If the Brown line is more convenient to your hotel take it north to Belmont and walk up Clark Street to the ballpark. It's easy.

You need to rearrange your locations and the days of each visit. cut out a few things. Just because it's on City Pass doesn't mean that you have to go there. This is a vacation not a marathon or treasure hunt. Look at a map.

The United Center is too far out of the downtown to easily add to your list of things.

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: tentative itinerary

I totally agree that you are doing far too much jumping around. Get out a map and plot the different locations. You have yourself going to the Museum Campus for partial days three days in a row. The advice to pick one day, and spend it there, is quite sound. Plus if the Sox game is a day game, you don't really have time to go to the Field, have lunch, and then go to the game. I'm not a Navy Pier hater like some of my fellow TAers, I had friends in from out of town last month who wanted to go there and we had a very nice walk down to the end where we got to see a great sunset, but unless you have some particular reason to go there, in your situation I wouldn't bother. I also probably wouldn't bother with the Maxwell Street Market.

Is there a particular reason you want to go to Holy Name? As stated, there are other churches worth a visit. It's nowhere near the Willis and the Shedd, although it is near the Hancock and not that far from Andy's.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,464 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tentative itinerary

Surgical Science Museum is up on N. Lake Shore Drive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
600 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tentative itinerary

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll look at changing a few things around so places are closer together.

What are some nice churches downtown to see?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
15,429 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tentative itinerary

4th Presbyterian 890 N Michigan Ave, St. James Episcopal Cathedral about 600 N Wabash, St. James Chapel at Quigley, Ascension Episcopal for "high church" at LaSalle and Elm, Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral 1175 N La Salle, Chicago Sanai Temple State and Delawar. It's called The Cathedral District.

In the Loop try to see St Peter's pink marble Art Deco church at 110 W Madison or Old St Patrick's which survived the Chicago fire at 700 W Adams, First United Methodist at Clark and Madison which is the tallest Church in the US (a skyscraper). At Chicago and Milwaukee Ave is St. John Cantius which is an old Polish parish which has undergone unbelievable restoration including the murals of Polish peasants cavorting with saints ( and a newly restored glorious Cassavant pipe organ)

Edited: 13 August 2014, 04:12
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tentative itinerary

Whenever family or friends come to Chicago to visit, I take them to the Hancock Building if they don't have a preference. We head up to the Signature Lounge for a drink. The cost of a martini is less than the admission to the observatory, and the lounge is a couple floors higher. It's open later than both the Willis Tower and the Hancock observation decks, so that's worked well for me. I prefer the view from the Hancock, though of course if you go to the lounge you may not get one of the tables right next to the window--but I've found the view was good anyway, even from further away. I've never had to wait long to get in but I may have just gotten lucky.

If you do go to the lounge, stop in the ladies' room--oddly enough, floor to ceiling windows make it one of the most impressive views in the city.

Also, if you have to cut something out of your itinerary from the museum campus, Adler Planetarium would be on the chopping block for me. I've only been once, but it was... a planetarium. One thing to be mindful of, though, is to check for the free days. City of Chicago and/or Illinois residents get to take advantage of free days at all three of those, and you will not want to be there on one of those days, and each of them have some coming up in the next few months, I think.

Edited: 13 August 2014, 05:25