We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Hello everyone,

We will be staying at the CS on Michigan Ave next week, and once our shuttle drops us off at our hotel, we'd like to find a place where we can pick up some liquor and beer to enjoy in our room. Without walking too far, is there someplace close we can grab a 12 pack? I've read there's a Walgreens fairly close, but do they sell beer? I highly doubt they sell liquor (the ones here in Vegas do not), so a liquor store close would be handy. Any suggestions and info is appreciated. Thanks!

Chicago Sports Tour
3 reviews
from US$40.00*
Skydeck Chicago Admission
580 reviews
from US$24.00*
Chicago by Night Helicopter Tour
44 reviews
from US$149.00*
Chicago Grand Half-Day Tour
329 reviews
from US$48.00*
Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

There is a Walgreens next to your hotel and a CVS across Michigan Avenue. Both have liquor and beer. There is a larger Walgreens that just opened in the Wrigley Building, about two blocks north on Michigan Avenue. But, why are you taking a shuttle from the airport to the hotel? The L is cheaper and a cab is faster.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Since you are more than a party of one - a taxi will be less expensive than Airport Express.

A less expensive option - http://www.transitchicago.com/airports/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Thanks to both for your quick response. I've never ridden a train or public trans before and never been to a city of this magnitude before either. So I figured shuttle or taxi would be the easiest and quickest way to our hotel from Midway. The shuttle prices are $61. Didn't realize the cab would only be about $25-30. If that is the case, then we will just take a cab. How do cabs work in Chicago. Here in Vegas 5 can ride for the price of 1. However many people you can fit in the cab, the fair price is the same regardless. Is that the same for Chicago?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Cab fares here are metered.

$3.25 for first mile. $1.80 per mile thereafter. $2 airport surcharge. First additional passenger $1

Each additional passenger after first passenger $.50

cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/bacp/supp_in…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Vomit clean up fee.....that's funny. They don't even have that here in Vegas, and I would think they should. Thanks for the info Dave. You've answered several of my posts on here and I really appreciate you taking the time to post and give me the info. You just saved us about $30 bucks by suggesting we take a cab. Thanks - that's more money we can spend on beer! Haha!!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,305 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

I prefer dark beer :.)

Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

Not sure why there's suddenly such a spate of threads in the past week where visitors are considering taking cabs (sometimes numerous times) over CTA. Cabs are an expensive proposition when you use them long-distance or numerous times.

Lynn, I'm not sure where you got that $25-30 figure for cab fare from Midway. IMHO, that's a little too low at any time (it will most likely be substantially less than the shuttle, though, except if there are real problems with traffic), and it's most unlikely that amount includes the tip for the driver. To properly calculate estimated cab fare, it really depends on what day and time of day you are in it. For example, you certainly don't want to get caught up in a cab during rush hour traffic or the fare would be much, much more than that. Without heavy traffic, taking a cab would probably save you a whole whopping 20 minutes (maybe a little more) of travel over CTA.

Beyond that, though, I think you are being too hesitant about using CTA, either 'L or busses. It's pretty easy. Once you get here, I'm sure you'll see that. The Orange Line originates/ends right at Midway. The State/Lake station in the Loop is about 3 blocks away from your hotel (it's an elevated stop and doesn't have an elevator) and the Clark/Lake station a little more than 4 blocks from your hotel (in the James R. Thompson Building - has an elevator).

Besides which, you're going to be riding the 'L anyway to go to Wrigley Field - isn't that correct?

Do you realize that if you get 2 CTA 3-day visitor's passes (@$20) each and ride the Orange Line in from Midway, you wouldn't need to pay a single cent more for transportation in Chicago for the rest of the long weekend? Or if you felt you didn't want to walk that distance from either station with suitcases, you're looking at a 2-3 minute cab ride - maybe $6-7 at most.

Then you'll have plenty of $$ for those brews.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 20:38
Rensselaer, Indiana
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

CTA Visitor Passes give you unlimited rides for each 24 hour period of time for which they are purchased.

It is possible if you come in very early on that Friday and leave very late on that Monday, you'd need to pay extra above that 3-day pass, as it starts from the moment you swipe it the first time.

P.S. I think that the $1 Fuel Surcharge is a permanent fixture now? I didn't see that listed. Perhaps that's changed?

Edited: 22 August 2014, 20:45
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

ChiTownFriend,

Thanks so much for the info. It really does sound like CTA is the more economical way to go. Having said that, and never having used public trains before, much less in a major city like Chicago, given the price; I think I'd still rather just take a cab to our hotel. I want the path of least resistence, and feel hopping in a cab vs. waiting and catching PT, just seems less stressful and easier - espeically having never been to Chicago before. For those who are comfortable with their towns, getting around is a breeze, but for people new to the area, sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. Las Vegas is very spread out and not anywhere near the size of Chicago and not everything is packed in tiny blocks like Chicago. I do appreciate your info. We will be taking the L to Wrigley field for sure. That seems like a piece of cake.

Edited: 26 August 2014, 15:44
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,707 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting liquor/beer near/around Comfort Suites Michigan Ave

I agree that in a strange city it would be best to take a taxi from the airport. The subway/"L" would save you $ but you still have to navigate to your hotel. If you don't know where it is it can get confusing. Once you're here, however, you must ride the "L". There's a sticky in Top Questions re: restaurants along the "L". The Brown abd Red Lines (the red line to Wrigleyville) are fun experiences for someone new to city transit. Take the Brown line around the Loop and to Southport Station. Walk around the Southport Corridor, have lunch and then walk east on Addison to Wrigley Field. From Wrigley take the Red Line back downtown.