We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

J B
Barcelona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

Hi all,

I will be going from Chicago to Florida via bus, was hoping people could recommend good cities or places to stop for a day or two in between.

I know most people will tell me to fly. There are legitimate reasons for bussing (girlfriend does not like flying). Plus we usually bus as we can do it overnight and it's very cheap.

Any help is appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Florida
Florida
United States
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

I'm not familiar with busses in Europe, but I'm guessing they are better than in the US. The trip from Chicago to Miami would take over a day, possibly a day and a half, and the cost wouldn't be very cheap, more similar to airfare.

Look at the Greyhound Bus site, and the cities that you would pass through between here and Miami -Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Nashville, Knoxville, Chatanooga, Atlanta, Orlando, etc. and see if any of those stand out for you.

http://www.greyhound.com/default.aspx

You may want to post on the Road Trip Forum. Would you consider taking a train?

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Louisville
Louisville
Kentucky
Lexington
Lexington
Kentucky
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

Especially if you have to buy individual tickets from 1 city to another, cost is going to be potentially very high.

B.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

You may also want to look at megabus. They don't go to Miami, but they do go as far south as Atlanta if you decide to stop there. Their prices might be better.

https://www.megabus.com/

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

Buses are the low end of American travel. Have you thought of taking the train? go to www.amtrak.com and look at the routes. You could visit New York, Washington DC, Atlanta... The trains to look at are the Lakeshore Limited between Chicago and New Yorkor The Capitol Limited between Chicago and Washington DC. The Silver Service trains between New York and/or Washington to Miami. That way you don't have to fly and you still get to see the country you travel over. The trains have observation cars for sightseeing, cafes and dining cars and you can get up an move around. They take about the same time as a bus.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
chicago
Level Contributor
8,825 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

Have you taken a bus in the United states before? Much different than in Europe

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

How many days do you have for the trip? Amtrak trains don't go direct Chicago-Miami but you could use a combination of trains and buses.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,590 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

You could do Megabus from Chicago to Atlanta. Atlanta to Orlando and Orlando to Miami. Chicago to Atlanta is like 14-15 hours. Atlanta to Orlando 8-9 hours and Orlando to Miami 5 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
34,590 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

I know you mention your girlfriend doesn't like to fly, but you are flying from barcelona to the states aren't you or are you taking a cruise from Europe to the U.S?

J B
Barcelona
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

Hi all,

Just to clarify: I'm not from Barcelona I am from Australia - I've tried changing that a few times!

She can fly but it is not a preferred option, plus we want to see as much of the country as possible. We may also opt to get a car rental to go between these places.

The main reason for my post is to get advice on which of the cities in between are worth stopping at, I.e. Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta etc and also smaller towns.

All previous and future advice is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go between Chicago and Miami?

You could post on the Road Trip forum, or if you are leaning towards specific cities, post on those forums and see if any suggestions spark some interest for you or your gf.

To change your location, click on your name in the upper right hand corner of this page and click on profile in the drop down menu; in the new page, click on your name in the upper left hand corner, and select "Edit Your Profile." There will be a box for location.