We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Downtown Chicago

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in Downtown Chicago

Hello experts,

My wife and I will be staying downtown at the Union League Club on Jackson on Wednesday Oct 18th and leaving Saturday afternoon. I'll be attending seminars on Thurs and Fri so we'll only have the evenings (after 4:30) to do things together.

I've been to Chicago about ten years ago so I had to do some research to find a few things for us to do, but I wanted to hear from the experts. Here is a list of my plans - feel free to let me know if I'm on the right track or if I should try something else.

Wednesday Oct 18th:

Since my wife loves stained glass I was going to take her to the Navy Pier to the Stained Glass Window Museum. She can also pick up a few souveniers on the Pier. I was also planning to book a Mystic Blue Dinner Cruise to wrap up the evening with food and dancing. Let me know if these things are cool or if they are just lame tourists traps.

Thursday Oct 19th:

After having dinner with my vendors, I wanted to take her to a Blues or Jazz club near the Hotel. I was thinking Buddy Guy's or Andy's. Any suggestions are welcome.

Friday Oct 20th:

I wanted to take her shopping on Michigan Ave. and maybe make our way to Coq d'Or for a bite and few cocktails. Later I wanted to hit a nice club - The last time I was here I partied with Dennis Rodman, Hulk Hogan and Eddie Vedder at Excalibur. From what I hear that place has gone down hill (too bad). I need advice on this one. I've read decent reviews on tons of bars (Crobar, Sound-Bar, Enclave, etc..). My wife and I like to dance to some of the latest music, but we also like smooth R&B tunes (oldies).

Saturday we're checking out and heading back home to Columbus.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

After reading my first post it sounds like I'm asking the advise of the Experts only. Not at all! I consider all posters with good advise as experts. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk.

HFPO!

(Have Fun and Party On!)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

Afraid the only thing I can help you with is the Smith Stained Glass Museum which is one of the few reasons you should go to Navy Pier. It's free and it's very nice especially for someone who already has an interest in it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

For the Navy Pier suggestion, I would skip the boat ride and go to dinner at Riva's. It's on the pier and it has excellent food but doesn't feel like a tourist trap (which is hard on the pier). Plus, it has great views of the city at night.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

I also agree with the previous poster - skip the dinner cruise. The food quality, in my opinion is not worth the price. If you want to eat on the pier - Riva is a good choice.

I'd take Andy's over Buddy Guy's. Near Andy's - http://www.jazzshowcase.com/

I can't offer suggestions on the nightclub question. Check out www.metromix.com for ideas.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

Thanks for the advise on Riva. The cruise was just an idea I thought would be kind of romantic. If it's not worth it then I'll pass. The view from Riva sounds nice though. If there is a more romantic restaurant nearby I'd rather do that. We aren't limited to the Pier.

Thanks again,

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
187 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

We are back from Chicago and we had a great time. Riva was a great choice. Excellent food and service. Next time we visit we just may do the dinner cruise just to try something different.

Decided to skip the club scene and went to a few blues bars. On Wednesdays The House of Blues features the Joanna Conner Band. They were excellent. Man she can really play the guitar.

We also saw the Shirley Johnson Band at Blue Chicago (536 N. Clark). Another great time. The saxaphone player gave an outstanding performance on Grover Washington Jr's "Mister Magic".

Thanks for all the advise guys. We had a blast and I hope to make it back to the windy city soon!

7. Re: 3 Days in Downtown Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 14:22