We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or train from airport?

Which Chicago hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
FL
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Taxi or train from airport?

We are flying into Midway and staying at the Intercontinental - should we take a taxi or train? I know the train is cheaper but with luggage is it impossible?

Any est on a taxi fare?

Thanks!

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

Of the two options, the taxi is what I'd take. My best guess is that the fare will run you $30-35.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,780 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

Taking a train with luggage is not impossible. Assuming you don't have a lot of luggage, take the CTA orange line train from Midway. Get off a Roosevelt. Transfer to a northbound (towards Howard) red line train. Get off at Grand Ave. You'll be 2 blocks from your hotel. The fare is $2 per person.

You can also take - http://www.airportexpress.com. The fare for 2 people is $28 and there's a $2 discount coupon on their web site.

Swartz Creek
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

Highly recommend the cab or airport express tip. The "door to door" service is worth the price of admission with luggage, especially if the weather is foul. You still have to walk a few blocks to the hotel if you take the El to your hotel. The cab et al would drop you off at the door of the hotel. Enjoy your visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

Depends on when you go...I wouldn't hassle the el if you are coming with lots of luggage, little kids. Otherwise I'd take the el.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
437 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

Take the train! The most beautiful view of our city is from the southwest side and the train is the best way to see it. The orange line is clean, safe and cheap and it runs avery few minutes so you wont waste any time waiting for it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
311 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

Train or cab - depends on your style, preferences, and budget. I prefer bus and train to either Midway or O'Hare. It's even faster! But I have finally learned how to pack efficiently with one medium wheeled bag to check) and small shoulder bag carry-on.

However, last trip in Dec., weather was crummy as I stepped out to the bus stop on my corner. Impulse, I saw a cab and hailed it. Northside lakefront to O'Hare, it was $35 plus tip. I rationalized, one less fancy dinner in my 14-day trip. Return home flights, late evenings, I take cabs for convenience.

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
315 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

I would recommend calling a sedan company. We were able to get a $35 fee from one company from Midway to Hotel Burnham which I thought was a great deal and they were there waiting for us when our plane arrived. Very clean.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

I tend to veer away from Airport Express. I feel their vans are not that safe, and they stop at all the downtown hotels. So depending if you are 1st or last, the ride time may increase considerably.

A taxi from Midway is approx. $27.00 , so fore two people it is basically the same price as Airport EXpress

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

It completely depends on the amount of luggage. I've done the Midway to downtown trip with a week's luggage (after a trip to Bahamas). It is O.K., but with that much luggage I would probably take a cab in the future.

The Orange line is great if you are carrying light bags -- a briefcase and maybe one small suitcase. You still end up taking a short cab ride at the end (or walking about six blocks), but with light luggage I prefer the Orange line, particularly when coming from the airport (where there is no risk of having CTA delays cause a missed flight).

10. Re: Taxi or train from airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 23:15