We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transportation and extended stay ?

nola
1 post
Save Topic
public transportation and extended stay ?

I will be staying at the extended stay hotel on grand in elmhurst. Does the bus run near? I shall need to get to downtown and Wrigley.

Thanks

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Chicago
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transportation and extended stay ?

I'm assuming you mean the Wrigley Building and not Wrigley Field.

The fastest way for you to get downtown is the Metra Train. There's a station in Elmhurst that's about 3 miles from your hotel. The train ends at Ogilvie Station and fare is $3.45 one way. The trip takes about 45 minutes.

From Ogilvie, you can transfer to the Route 157 bus or walk about a mile to the Wrigley Building. The bus fare would be $2.00 and I'd plan on an additional 20-30 minutes if you'll be taking the bus in rush hour.

You can get route information and schedules at www.metrarail.com or transitchicago.com. Both sites also link to a trip planner that includes information from the suburban Pace bus system. If you'll be traveling for a long-term job, a monthly pass would lessen the cost.

Your hotel may have a shuttle that would take you to the train station in Elmhurst. If not, the trip planner can tell you any bus routes that are nearby.

If you'll be working downtown, have you considered a hotel closer to the city?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transportation and extended stay ?

You do have to take the Metra train into Chicago as stated above. The suburban bus system(pace bus) has limited routes. The stop on Grand Ave is east of your hotel(just east of Church) and you would have to walk there to take it to the Elmhurst train station and Grand Avenue is not pedestrian friendly.

Better to take a taxi to the station and ask if a shuttle service is available.

Downtown Elmhurst is a nice place. Several restaurants and a movie theater for your down time.

www.pacebus.com

Grand ave route = Route 645

If you have to stay in Elmhurst, and not Chicago, you could also consider Springhill Suites by Marriott off of Lake street (pace bus route 643 - no convenient bus stop close by however).

Get answers to your questions about Elmhurst