We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

Bartlett, IL
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

I am taking my mom to Galena for the weekend in October, for her birthday. I am leaning towards staying at the Hampton Inn in Dubuque, rather than in Galena. The rates for Galena hotels are all very high for that weekend, plus I get Hilton points for staying at the Hampton Inn.

How feasible is it to expect to be going back and forth throughout the weekend - is it an easy drive? Looks like about 20 minutes, right?

We will probably go to Galena and shop during the day on Saturday, then do dinner at Fried Green Tomatoes Saturday night, so probably won't have time to drive back and forth to freshen up.

Should I just bite the bullet and stay in Galena?

Thanks!

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

Weekends in Galena when the weather is good, is packed with visitors. My parents live in the area and it is not uncommon for them to not find a parking space when they go into town to run some errands. I think you would be much more comfortable staying in Galena rather than making the drive.

Think about the time in the car, gas, etc. vs. just walking to your destinations. Sometimes the difference in savings doesn't seem like such a bargain when you put those things in the equation. There are quite a few B&B's and Inns that may be somewhat competitive with the rates you got for the Hampton Inn, so take another look.

It's not too far of a drive to Dubuque, but where the hotels/shopping areas are, seem to always be congested. If you want a true get-away I would go for the total Galena experience, lodging included.

Galena, IL.
Level Contributor
150 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

If you want to treat your Mom, then stay at a Bed and Breakfast in Galena. You will enjoy your stay much more than driving back and forth and the B&B's will really make you feel much more comfortable than a hotel.

Galena, IL.
Level Contributor
150 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

If you want to treat your Mom, then stay at a Bed and Breakfast in Galena. You will enjoy your stay much more than driving back and forth and the B&B's will really make you feel much more comfortable than a hotel.

Wi
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

If you like to drive then stay in Dubuque. If you want a fun vacation I would stay in Galena. It is probably a 25 min drive and then you need to find parking in Galena and the reason the rates are probably higher as you might be there in "leaf season". Fried Green is a great restaurant.

5. Re: Visiting Galena but staying in Dubuque?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2010, 05:19