We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schatzi's in Hanover

Which Galena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Schatzi's in Hanover

Has anyone stayed there with their dogs? How was it?

1. Re: Schatzi's in Hanover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2006, 20:20
2. Re: Schatzi's in Hanover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2007, 11:44
Hanover, IL
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Schatzi's in Hanover

Actually, Yes; I have been to Schatzi's and can assure you that it is Very Nice! It is private, but conveniently located. It is clean and aesthetically furnished. The decor is specifically geared to dogs and the comfort of owners travelling with dogs. The price is reasonable. I recommend you try it.

As for "what to do" if you stay in Hanover:

You will definitely enjoy an outing with your dog along the walking dikes of the Upper Mississippi River Wildlife Refuge, or along the Apple River to stroll through a very old and interesting cemetery, if history interests you. If you take photos or just like to observe migrating birds, river otters, or any such creatures in the wild, then definitely add the River Sanctuary just south of Savanna to your trip itenerary. It's MUCH closer to Hanover. Also, the Blanding Landing on Mississippi River (see the full main channel and beautiful backwaters) is a perfect place to go with your dog. It's five minutes from Schatzi's place. The Mississippi River Palisades State Park is another magnificent "thing to do" that is eight minutes from Schatzi's (south of Hanover on Rt 84, towards Savanna ... a fun old River town in its own right.)

Galena is very easy to get to from Hanover (takes only 20 minutes). It does have some artists along Hwy 20 just outside the floodgates who are definitely worth stopping for, but you can't take your dog. As for most of whatever else is in Galena, you won't be comfortable spending any time there with your dog, and you can do most of it at any strip mall back home. There are a couple of exceptions in the old coffee roaster (Isabella's Imports) and the French imports shop called La Provencale, owned and hosted by a charming and intelligent French expatriate couple. There are a couple of Hanover residents who own and operate a couple of shops that have for many years been mainstays of what is offered in Galena: A tobacconist and a luxury lingerie shop.

In my mind, the question ought to be "What are you going to do in Galena, ESPecially "with your dog?" The Fever River walk is a cutesey little "Carousel" looking spot that gets all the hype specifically because Galena canNOT compete with regards to natural outings. Those places are MUCH better located from Hanover.

I have not actually been inside Tierra Lienda, but Armando has told me he decorates with dead chicken feet and the like. I did once find it with some difficulty... It is somewhat remote, and is not "in" Galena, as your other respondent implied. You can get to Galena with equal ease from Hanover, and in spite of the fact that nobody in Galena is supportive of anything anyone tries to do regionally (eg, in Hanover), people in Hanover go to Galena daily and are most supportive of what little there is worth it in Galena. Mostly it is Hype!

As for nightlife, Schatzi's is directly across the street from a little pub that is friendly and provides plenty of local color. Also, there is at least one exceptionally good restaurant in Hanover.

Certainly, suit yourself; but you should at least have a fair response.

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Schatzi's in Hanover

Thank you so much for your response on Schatzi's. We are staying there this weekend with our 3 cocker spaniels. I am looking forward to it.

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schatzi's in Hanover

We stayed at Schatzi's the weekend of Feb. 11th. What a great place for people with dogs. The room we stayed in was so cute and comfortable. Our oldest dog found the basket of goodies that was left out for them right away. Kevin, the owner, had a bunch of nice personal touches. We can't wait to go back!