We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

girls getaway for fall 2013 ? where to stay?

Which Galena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
510 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
girls getaway for fall 2013 ? where to stay?

We would like some suggestions on where to stay this fall for a women's getaway? Never been to the area before.

Is there shopping downtown etc? We would like to stay somewhere close to everything and within walking distance.

Either a hotel or b/b. It would be for about 5 women.

Any suggestions on what to do in Galena?

thank you

petlovr

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
150 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: girls getaway for fall 2013 ? where to stay?

Try these:

galena.org

galena.com

visitgalena.org

I am familiar with two lodging options within easy walking distance of the downtown area. The DeSoto house is a hotel, right in the middle of the commercial strip. We found it to be expensive and a bit dated, but lots of people love it and you can't beat the location.

305 N. is a B&B that is 1/2 block north of the main commercial district. I have stayed here many, many times and have enjoyed it. They do have a few larger rooms that will accommodate 4-5 people, one of which has a lovely, large deck. It is also not cheap and the continental breakfasts are unimpressive. I prefer it to the DeSoto house because it's smaller, the units are more spacious and there is ample common area for lounging and socializing. The larger unit with the deck that I spoke of is more akin to an apartment with kitchen, dining room etc., which is really great for a small group.

There are a wealth of B&B's nearby as well, from which you can easily walk downtown. I have no personal experience with any of those.

If you are unable to get lodging right downtown, it's an easy drive and there is lots of parking on the street and in lots.

In any case, fall is a busy season in Galena. I'd strongly suggest you book WAY in advance to your options will be very limited.

Have fun!

Galena
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: girls getaway for fall 2013 ? where to stay?

Hi, welcome to Galena.

Shopping? Yes, we have all kinds of shopping on Main St. and some spills over onto Rt 20. Gifts, clothes, furniture and accessories, art and all kinds of jewelry. You'll have a blast.

As for where to stay, the reccomendations above are good. Walking distance depends on your feeling about stairs - 200 of them. There are 2 stairways up to mansion row on the bluff overlooking downtown. There are 2 nice B&Bs at the top. One is Grandview Guest House at the top of the north stairs and the other is less than a half block from the top of the main stairs at the south end of downtown. It's called the Victorian Mansion and I've been in that one. It's high victorian and just gorgeous. The innkeepers are really nice. Same with the Grandview, Margie has plenty of repeat customers. Look them up online. There are landings on the stairs and even us locals stop to 'admire the view', ok we catch our breath, so you shouldn't worry about it and you won't feel guilty about what you eat.

If you're not up to the stairs, around the corner from Main on rt. 20 is the Greenbriar Country Inn. Really lovely and though it's on the highway it's at a narrow slow spot and there is a gallery and pottery studio along with othe shops across the street and to the west.

Enjoy your stay and if you need food recommendations let us know.

Galena resident.

Galena, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: girls getaway for fall 2013 ? where to stay?

Check out countryside tours. They go to a winery and then take you to some other great spots along the way. great time.

4. Re: girls getaway for fall 2013 ? where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18