We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall colors

chicago
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
fall colors

Has it started? If not any estimate?

USA
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: fall colors

I was in Dubuque yesterday. There was still a lot of green, some muted yellows, very little red. Everything would have looked better with more sunshine. More color to come, although this may not be a great year for fall color.

Mentioned in this post
chicago
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: fall colors

Wow! Can't believe there's no color yet.

USA
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: fall colors

Perhaps I did not describe it well. There has been a fair amount of yellow in hickories and walnuts, not the brightest yellows this year, worse so under overcast skies. Many of the yellow leaves have fallen, still plenty left. The maple and oaks are not yet showing much red. The best reds were in sumac and whatever the vine is that climbs to the top of trees. My guess is that the best yellows are past and the best reds are yet to come. Choose a sunny day in the next week or two and head to the country.

chicago
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: fall colors

Assuming the weather is good would you pick oct 25 or 30 to see colors in galena?

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: fall colors

I'm south of there about 100 miles (near Peoria), and about 1/3 to 1/2 of our trees have turned. Almost all of that is in the last week, because I noticed on 10/10 only one tree in the park across from my house had any color in it. I would think that if you're talking about northern Illinois 10/30 is going to be past peak. Because of the drought this past summer, I'm noticing those trees that turned early have already started dropping their leaves. In fact, I took a walk just to check out the trees locally, and noticed that there are some which usually turn colors that really didn't this year, they just turned brown and dropped them and that was it.

Mentioned in this post
Peoria
Peoria
Illinois
Illinois
Illinois
United States
chicago
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: fall colors

Bummer! I might just wait until next year then, thanks for your help

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: fall colors

Well, we've had the cold snap, and the leaves have definitely speeded up the turning process. If you can still go at this late date, I would go this weekend. But unless the wind blows hard, I think you could still see plenty of color next week too.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
505 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: fall colors

Starting to get a little color in Joliets Pilcher park.........

http://imageshack.us/a/img7/7766/aj83.jpg

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
505 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: fall colors

Colors have finally arrived......Pilcher Park outside Joliet.....

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/8075/rau5.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img811/3593/9k8o.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Joliet
Joliet
Illinois
chicago
Level Contributor
8,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: fall colors