We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

Which Nauvoo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

We'll be staying at the Nauvoo Vacation Condos in July. Is there a grocery store nearby in Nauvoo? Most of our meals will probably be purchased in Nauvoo. What are your recommendations for inexpensive but good meals? Is the Hotel Nauvoo buffet worth the price ($13.95)?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,975 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

maps.google.com - is a great search tool to see what's near your location. Also - http://www.beautifulnauvoo.com/

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

Had chuckled as I read your question about "nearby in Nauvoo". The town is barely 1000 people. I don't know exactly where you are staying and I wouldn't want to comment about a present business as it has been years since I've been there, but from one end of town to the other probably isn't 2 miles. The next closest town is Keokuk, IA (20 minute drive) and you have all of the possible chain restaurants and asundry businesses there.

If you are going to Nauvoo because of its connection with Mormon history, don't forget to include a trip to the Carthage jail (30 minutes) as a part of your itinerary.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,193 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

i can recommend the hotel nauvoo buffet, heres my review

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g36426-d5154…

i agree with visiting carthage jail, it was the best part of the trip for me.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

Yes, we're touring Carthage Jail and I've made reservations for the dinner buffet at the Hotel Nauvoo. I tried for a Monday night but they're closed then. The Vacation Condos are 2 miles east of town.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,193 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

heres a good webpage that has info on groceries ect.

www.beautifulnauvoo.com/site/default.asp…

just wondering if you were able to find my review,as i didnt hear back from you, or hopefully you have been talking to frisco roadrunner on this forum as they travel around alot and can give you alot of good info.

also on the way from nauvoo dont forget to visit adam ondi ahman location.

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

Happytotrip: yes I read your review of the Hotel Nauvoo buffet before making dinner reservations. I've not heard from Frisco Roadrunner although the name sounds familiar when I was reading forums about San Francisco.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,193 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

frisco roadrunner replied to your post on may 6, in utah forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60922-i412-k27633…

actually i was talking about my review of nauvoo trip

you were having trouble finding it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g36426-r1417…

if you have any more questions just ask

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

Happytotrip: I'm definitely suffering from alzheimers. I forgot that I'd posted a question in the Utah forum a few weeks before we definitely decided to go so I read both your and friscoroadrunner's replies. My biggest problem is trying to cram in too much into a week as you can see below. We'll be flying into Kansas City July 3rd. Seeing the sites in Independence, Liberty and Far West that afternoon/evening. July 4th we'll be seeing Adam-Ondi-Ahman, the Amish town of Jamesport and get to Hannibal for their annual Tom Sawyer Days that afternoon. Fireworks that night on the Mississippi in Hannibal. July 5th we'll attend church in Quincy, go to Carthage Jail and get to Nauvoo at least in time to tour the visitor's center and a few other sites like the cemetary and Trail of Hope. July 6th temple session and touring Nauvoo sites, along with 2 shows. July 7th tour Nauvoo along with Rendevous in Old Nauvoo and the opening night of the Nauvoo Pageant. July 8th drive to Springfield to tour the Abe Lincoln museum, home and cemetary, old state capitol and hopefully have time to tour a famous Frank Lloyd Wright house before driving to St. Louis that night, arriving in time to get some pics of the arch. July 9th 8-2:30 spend time in Forest Park at the zoo, art museum and history museum. 2:45 take a guided tour of the Cathedral of St. Louis (largest collection of mosiacs in the world) before flying back to SLC at 6 pm.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
27,193 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

wow, thats some trip you have planned, hope you enjoy yourself, it sounds like you have covered everything i can think of, enjoy your trip.

btw if you are thinking of a church history trip ect to palmyra new york area sometime make sure you check our frisco roadrunners reviews, great trip reports!

Aurora Il
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: grocery store location, recs for inexpensive meals

There is Duc(k)s grocery nearby ..good meats but a little more expensive.The store is very small and only has basics. Maybe your best bet is to make a big shopping trip a bit farther out to Keokuk.

Get answers to your questions about Nauvoo