We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor

Just returned from the Thakhek Loop (as usual I changed my itinerary straight away, and it was worthwhile - a report will follow when after my return home in a couple of weeks...), and when I spend some time in Kong Lor Village for the Kong Lor Cave I was advised that there is now a direct bus between Vientiane and Kong Lor. There were quite a few tourists who were not aware of it, and left the bis to Pakse at one point, and took a songthraw afterwards. So I thought it would be good to post it here to let others know.

I only know that the bus leaves Kong Lor at 6.40 in the morning for Vientiane, but do not know the departure time from Vientiane, or what the price is.

This will make the cave and village most likely a more easily reached place for tourists now.

PS: I have a great time again in Laos right now....

3 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor

Thanks for the info, I was just trying to find more about this trip. Do you think it would be possible to take the bus there and leave the next day? I'm trying to squeeze this trip into two days...Do you have any information on where this bus is or where I could arrange the tckets through, any info would be great as I'm taking this trip in 4 days and internet isn't so great. Thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor

I assume that the bus that leaves Kong Lor around 6.40 foes back around Kong Lor, maybe around lunch time. Whixh means you should be anle to visit the cave in the afternoon, before heading off the next morning. Though if you can spare two nights, it is worthwhile. Gives you a bit more time for the cave, have a swim at the cave entrance, and explore a bit of the valley. It is a beautiful place, and depending when the bus leaves Vientiane it could be a bit rushed.

Regarding tickets, I would check with one of the travel agencies or head to the bus station, as I do not know about departure time and price. You can buy the return ticket from your guesthouse as far as I know.

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
34 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor

Thanks so much, I think I'll head over to the bus station when I get in and see what I can find out.

Reply to: Bus from Vientiane to Kong Lor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khammouane Province