We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

NE
1 post
Save Topic
Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

We are thinking about moving to schaumburg and are wondering where are good apartments and also what sorts of things there are to do. Can you please help us and give us some tips.

Special Offer
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament...
4 Reviews
US$60 per adult
US$71
Special Offer
LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago
2 Reviews
US$19 per adult
US$21
Free Cancellation
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

I am evaluating moving to Schaumburg too. Have been there two times, June 2002 and September 2004. I love it over there. Nice restaurants, nice neighborhoods, nice parks, nice shopping. And not to mention that you are around 30 min. from all the action in Downtown.

Even though it is the perfect atmosphere for me, my daughter and wife it all depends on what are you looking for. Some people prefer the city because it is more active. What exactly are your expectations?

Mentioned in this post
Schaumburg
Schaumburg
Illinois
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

Schaumburg is a very nice middle/upper-middle class suburb that has just about anything a person could desire. Woodfield shopping mall was the largest enclosed mall in the world for several years. There are hundreds of apartment complexes throughout the town. Restaurants are on just about every major street corner. Upscale steakhouses to small 10 table ethnic family-owned restaurants.

Probably a few more details about you/we, i.e., age, profession, work location, interests, etc. That will make giving suggestions a little more specific to your needs. I'm a born and raised Chicago suburbanite, so ask away.

Mentioned in this post
Schaumburg
Schaumburg
Illinois
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Schaumburg
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

Schaumburg is a nice place to live. If you decide to move in there, go to www.schaumburghomes4sale.com, and use their "special" offer.

Mentioned in this post
Schaumburg
Schaumburg
Illinois
Spring Valley, CA
Level Contributor
602 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

Moved away several years ago so don't know a lot about homes, but we visit every year so know a bit about things to do. Besides the Mall, the Park District is one of the best I have ever seen, if you have kids- literally every sport you can think of, dance, art, etc. Also most of the community pools have been redesigned as mini water-parks, some even indoors, great fun. For culture, hop on a train to the big city for some of the best museums, restaurants, shows and yes more shopping.Six Flags huge theme park about 30-40 min. drive. It's a great place except for the mosquitos:)

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
985 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

I live about 5mins up 53 in Palatine. However, if we ever want to eat out, we usually end up in Palatine. I see that you are coming from Nebraska, so first things first....The Northwest burbs of Chicago are expensive. Expect to pay ~$800-1000/mth for a good newer 1 bedroom apartment. Schaumburg and Elk Grove both have a really great selection of apartments. You may save some money in Elk Grove.One of my buddies lived in a complex just south of the mall called Lincoln Meadows. They were beautiful apartments. Another friend had a nice apartment in the International Village across from Motorola on Algonquin. It was bit older, but had better access to the highway system. It all depends on where you need to go. You should really come here for a couple days and study the traffic patterns before you decide. It could save you 1/2 on your daily commute.

Considering you are looking at apartments, I am assuming that you are a younger person. If you are wanting to go to the city on the weekend, you might want access to the Metra. That is hard to come by in Schaumburg. Thus, you might want to check out Palatine or Arlington Heights or Roselle with better acess to Metra.

Mentioned in this post
Schaumburg, IL
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

Schaumburg is a great place to live. In addition to shopping for all budgets, many events and fun happenings for whole vamily.

Easy access to expressways to go into city or anywhere! Also, great access to Mera trains out of Medinah, Roselle or Schaumburg, depending which is closest for you. I'm only 10 minutes from medinah station, and always parking available any time of day (unlike some of stations along NW route which goes through Arlington Heights and Palatine). An easy 3 min. ride to Busse Wood for biking if you live in East Schaumburg. Bike trails througout village are also great. Many new restaurants in area. Great community for all age groups. Varied events at Prairie Arts Center for whole family. Memorial Day wk end juried art show and Labor Day Septemberfest best festival in the area.

Enjoy your visit or stay in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago Burbs
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

Honestly grew up in Elk Grove, which is the next town over. The entire area is great! The best schools, nice house, tons of shopping choices., lots of work, etc... Just terrible for traffic during rush hour!

If moving out here and need an apartment. I suggest the cheapest and most decent for the money (NOT the prettiest!!) (great way to save some money while you save for real estate!) Colonial Village in Itasca. I lived here 4 yrs ago. and just got divorced and had to move back here again from NW Indiana and look for a property. It's $725/mo for a 1 bedroom. Which is really cheap for the area. and it's really nicely sized! Not just that, but it's located mins off of 53 and Elgin O'hare. Looking to get a place fast... I'm looking to sublet my place and give $100 towards rent until April 1st when my lease is up.

However, it won't allow me to post my email address in here. :(

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
8. Re: Possibly moving to Schaumburg...need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 06:23
Get answers to your questions about Schaumburg