We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

Hello, i will be driving towards the east region on March 25, from Hofn.

i have a few questions if anybody can help me out

(1) OPEN ROADS

If i understand correctly, the below route is not possible in winter, correct? because some sections of Ring Road 1 is closed in winter, which includes march

http://goo.gl/maps/6eQOI

does this mean i have to travel in this manner - using coastal road?

http://goo.gl/maps/Z3eSI

(2) WHERE TO STAY

i need to decide on a place to stay the night - Egilsstadir, Seydisfjordur, or any of the east coast fjord cities/towns or even by lake lagerflot. which one should i pick and why? from pictures, it looks like Seydisfjordur is more beautiful than Egilsstadir? but i may be missing something here. but i still see people recommending to stay in Egilsstadir. which one is a bigger town? i know Seydisfjordur is a ferry port..

(3) WHAT TO DO

- is there any places to stop and see/do for the journey from Hofn to Egilsstadir/Seydisfjordur,

based on my reading, it sounds like there's not much happening, except just to enjoy beautiful scenery/fishing villages... but correct me if i am wrong

- is lake lagerflot worth a trip in march? what do you see besides that worm?

- is it possible to hike to Hengifoss/ Litlifoss waterfall outside Egilstaddir at all? or all still covered with snow which means only with crampons the trip is possible?

any ideas on what else i can do there, please shoot!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

You are right about the roads.

And you´re right about the other thing.

There isn´t much to do in Iceland, except stare at mountains and enjoy the nature (which is boring, right ?)

In winter, many activities are down, like mountain hiking, Kayaking, bird watching and such, You are almost in the arctic. And the more rural areas have less activity in general than the capitol area.

But you might be able to find a snowmobile tour or skiing. Or something else but enjoying nature and being bored all the time.

Why did you choose to go to this part of the country anyhow ?

If you are right minded, then you can find plenty to do, and there might well be lots of hiking possibilities, with or without crampons. Try hike up to the waterfalls you mention, and if the conditions are to severe for you, then you just turn around, at least you "did something".

But March is 1 and a half months away, you might not even be able to travel through that area at all, or it might be absolutely snow free.

Seyðisfjörður is a small town, by the sea. To get there from Egilsstaðir, you have to pass one of the most difficult mountain passes in Iceland. I would choose Egilsstaðir in the winter. At least there might be more "to do" there. Museums, galleries and swimmingpool to name few activities.

And do not belittle "that worm", if it sees you, it might eat you !

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

Icelandicguide - Thanks for your valuable advice, as usual

re: mountain pass between Egilsstaðir <->Seyðisfjörður - what difficulty are we speaking about here? windy? hairpins? steep? probably not the level of F985 right? (haha) it's paved ?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

All of these factors, as it takes you up to more than 600 metres above sea level. It is steep, extremely slippery when snowy or icy, hairpin bends, but yes tarmac. This road is frequently closed in winter, due to bad conditions.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,939 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

And here's a very small contribution to your travel planning...

http://en.east.is/

:)

5. Re: abt the east region : open roads, where to stay, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2017, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about East Region