We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

Hi.. Can anyone give me an opinion? I cant seem to choose between 2 days in the S. Peninsula + Southshore to see the basalt columns, or to head towards the North to Lake Myvatn and east iceland.

Thank you

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

South coast so you can visit the glacier lagoon at Jokulsarlon, a unique place on earth.

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

Choosing between your stated options...........

A few years ago I did the ring road taking in the Myvatn area, plus some diversions including Snaefellness. Later this year I am returning to Iceland but not to Snafellness. I will see the West Fjords and Myvatn area again. Hverarönd geothermal site, Dettifoss waterfall, walks in Dimmuborgir weathered lava fomations, Myvatn Nature baths (missed last time), are a great combination. Also, looking out from my Hotel Reykjahlid window down the lake to the south and seeing the hill with the moon hanging above and its reflection in the water, well that is one of my favourite sights anywhere.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

2 days is quite short and it really depends how much you want to drive , if it is your first time in Iceland i would probably think the south offers a lot , you can do Keflavik - VIk the first day and that is around 190 kn and see seljalandfoss and skogarfoss waterfalls, Dyrholaey and Reynisdrangar beach, Jokulsarlon lagoon is another 200 km,and you will have to drive back from there, it is feasible but it really depends again how much you want to drive and if you want to take your time or see a sight and move on

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

I could not possibly choose... :)

About columnar basalt, there's plenty all over Iceland. One tough place in the north is at Hofsós, by the Arctic Ocean. And if you drive 4WD, the waterfall of Aldeyjarfoss.

Enjoy!

Edited: 06 June 2014, 02:43
5. Re: snaefellsnes peninsula or Lake myvatn and east iceland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about South Region