We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caves

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Caves

Where are the caves located near Utica?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caves

Within Starved Rock State Park.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caves

Thanks for the quick reply! I was told there is decent cave exploring south of Utica at a place called Mathiesson (sp?). Do you know anything about this?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caves

I've been to Mathiesson before but have not explored the entire SP. I don't know if there are any caves there. I would suggest calling the SP directly and asking them. Please let me know if there are any there!

I don't know exactly what you mean by "caves". If you are looking for a true cavern with stalagmites and such, there aren't any at either SP. Starved Rock has some small caverns and waterfalls. It is really neat in the winter when the waterfalls are frozen.

Edited: 07 November 2010, 15:56
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caves

Thanks again. Will do and I'll let u know.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caves

My friends son swears there are caves there but the park says no. Oh well, plenty more to do on this beautiful day!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caves

There are some rock "overhangs" like the one in this photo of Council Overhang:

www.starvedrockstatepark.org/index.cfm…

I wouldn't consider it a cave, but some folks might.

A Google search turned up the Pecumsaugan Creek - Blackball Mines Nature Preserve, which has some abandoned mines that are home to colonies of bats.

…state.il.us/INPC/…PECLS.htm

I'd love to visit some caves if there are some!

7. Re: Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:18