We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction update, etc.

Which Bloomington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Construction update, etc.

Coming into town Jan 23 for a b-ball game. Traveling from airport in Indy. How's the road construction on I-465, SR 37 and the Bypass in Bloomington? Is it still a better idea to take 67 south and cut over to 37 at Martinsville? Probably staying in the Memorial Union so what is the best plan of attack to get there from 37? Sorry for all the questions but it has been a LONG time...

Next question. Who has the best breaded pork tenderloin sandwhich in town?

Go Hoosiers!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction update, etc.

On my phone, so this will be short (will try to leave more later), basically you don't have any construction to worry about.

I-465 (at least around I-70 to 37) is finished and, while it's not 100% done the bypass construction in Bloomington is close enough to being done that it's no longer an issue.

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction update, etc.

I'm at my computer now and have a few minutes to respond in some more depth.

First, a little more on your drive. As I said, I don't think you'll have any construction issues (more likely weather). That said, you still might want to take 67 to Martinsville anyway. In the "old days" this was nearly always the way I went. As 67 has developed (read: stoplights added) it's not as much better than 37 as I used to think it was (at least in my mind); it is, however, so close from a distance time standpoint that things like traffic, whether you make lights or not, etc. ends up making the difference.

In terms of this idea (taking 67), the way to do it is to drop down from the airport on "Ameriplex Parkway" (or something like this). This is essentially a back way into/out of the airport that doesn't use I-70 and it flows *very* well. You enter 67 south of I-465, take it to Martinsville and then switch to 37. Don't have figures in front of me, but as I remember Google maps says the difference between this route and taking 37 to I-465 is just a few miles/minutes.

Second, in terms of 37 to IMU (terminal Bloomington directions) The easiest route (from a direction standpoint) and probably about as good as any other (time of day, day of week, etc. having some influence on this) would be to exit 37 at the first Bloomington exit (onto Walnut/College towards downtown), follow College south and then take a left (east) when you get to 7th Street (a block north of the Courthouse Square). This puts you on a direct route to the IMU "circle" & parking.

Third, I'm going to think a little as far as the "best" breaded tenderloin and also ask a question. The question is how far (if at all) you're willing to travel. I forget exactly how things have ended up, but there was the place in Gnaw Bone that got some national attention as (one of?) the best breaded tenderloins in the whole country. I know they closed down, but believe they have since reopened. What I'm not sure of is whether it is the same "chef" or not and/or whether the "chef" is working someplace else. Obviously if you're truly looking "in town," then this isn't an option.

I'll mull this over and make some more specific (in town) breaded tenderloin suggestions and may include some in the general vicinity.

Hope this helps,

hlo

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction update, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. It has been close to 10 years since I visited Bloomington and 34 years since I have seen a game in Assembly Hall. I am absolutely stoked!

Gnaw Bone may be out of the question as we will arrive in town for a brief warm up session at a local pub and a bite to eat. Any recommendations on that? I was wholely disheartened reading the reviews on the "usual suspects" like Kilroy's, Yogi's and Nick's. Seems that courtesy and good service have fallen out of favor. So much for Hoosier Hospitality. I hope they are wrong!

Really appreciate the tips and any suggestions for good pre- and post- game hangout(s). Thanks a bunch!!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction update, etc.

Not sure where you've got your reports/reviews re: pub options; a few comments:

1. I wouldn't use TA as my main source for restaurants/bars. There's a bunch of reasons for this, but one of the main ones is that *travelers* are going to leave the bulk of reviews on TA and they're also going to have a limited exposure to the local food scene. Sure maybe I ate at a place I loved (or hated), but without knowing the details of the local dining scene I might never know that there is something better and cheaper just a block away (which local's will). Probably more true at true tourist destinations than Bloomington (ask about food options around Fisherman's Wharf in SF and you see what I mean).

That's not to say the TA restaurant reviews/rankings are worthless, but I don't know anyone who uses TA as their primary reference point for restaurants.

2. On this note, you might want to check sites more oriented towards restaurants like: Urbanspoon (my site of choice and which has a critical mass in the Bloomington/Indianapolis areas), Yelp (which I don't use, but others swear by), Chowhound, etc. Not sure you'll see things about the places you've mentioned that are different from what you've already read just that they're going to do a better job (in my opinion).

3. As for my suggestions . . . . I wouldn't hesitate to do Nick's (aware that there will likely be a crowd, but not as bad as football games) or Yogi's. I don't get to Yogi's that often (mainly due to geography, but wouldn't hesitate to go; Nick's is still on my my regular rotation (both for food & drinks).

As for (both) Kilroy's, I would avoid them like the plague. Not sure what it was like in your day, they are essentially pure student bars nowdays. If you're wanting to hang out with loud, drunk students, etc, then I'd say go ahead & go, but if you're looking for something a little less crazy, I'd go somewhere else.

A few others to consider: Scotty's Brewhouse, Upland and/or Lennie's (both breweries, which Scotty's despite it's name isn't, but it does have a good beer selection), Irish Lion, Brothers (another essentially student bar, had drinks there but haven't eaten the food), Trojan Horse, Bub's, Macri's, Player's Pub, Bear's Place, or perhaps one of the wine tasting rooms on the square (wouldn't be sports oriented, but if you're wanting wine more than beer).

4. As for breaded tenderloin. I'm certain the Trojan Horse has one and 99% certain Nick's too; not sure which I'd say is better. Some others that I know have it (but I've never had or it's been a long time) include: Player's Pub, Bear's, Hinke's (think they have one), Opie Taylor's and Macri's. Most of these are downtown (or near downtown). A couple of non-downtown places which I'm pretty sure have a breaded tenderloin include: Cloverleaf & Cozy Table (both westside) and Wee Willies (south and Elletsville).

Don't know that I would rate any of them particularly better than the others. I just haven't done a multi-restaurant pork tenderloin "taste off." (Maybe I'll make it a mission?) Urbanspoon might reveal more and/or you might find pork tenderloin mentioned in one or more reviews.

I'll close by noting that we're starting to get some serious subject creep and ask that if you have additional questions (which I'll be more than happy to answer), please start a new thread. The main reason is that it will be more useful for later TA users . . . people aren't necessarily going to look in a thread with "construction update" as the subject to read up on the better pub & pork tenderloin options in Bloomington. ;-)

Hope this helps,

hlo

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction update, etc.

Certainly appreciate the feedback and agree that I did sneak a little "subject creep" in there.

Cheers!

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction update, etc.

Yogi's is attempting to reinvent itself into a "gastropub." I put that in quotes not because of the subjective nature of the term, but because you'll know how ridiculous that is if you've seen a gastropub before and have also been to Yogi's. I used to be in there once a week, at least, but this weekend was the first we had been back in several months. If that says anything. They do still have the tenderloin sandwich though.

For basketball games, Yogi's, Scotty's, Nick's and a few other places tend to get the grown-up crowd. Scotty's would be my preference out of those three. And they have an excellent tenderloin sandwich. Very large. I would imagine Lennie's/Bloomington Brewing Company also gets a big crowd before games, but I've never been there around the time of a game. I'm at Brother's at least a couple of times per month, but it does get very student-y later in the evening. The food tends to be very good and the drink prices are very reasonable. They recently started doing $1 everything (including draft beers) on Fridays, all day, and $2 everything on Saturdays. I just get there early.

There's also Tap, which opened recently on the square. Beer only (but you can order in food) and they're pricey. Lots of TVs though.

USA
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction update, etc.

Thanks for the additional info!

8. Re: Construction update, etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 16:16