We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

An initial list of artists for this year's Lotus World Music Festival (the 20th) has been posted on the Lotus website:

lotusfest.org/lotus-at-20-festival-first-look

In addition to the artists, you'll find the dates they're scheduled to perform, links to their websites and/or videos as well. The festival runs from September 25-29 this year. I will note that there are some returning favorites as well as plenty of new faces. Also, it appears there will be a Wednesday show in addition to the usual Thursday kickoff concert.

There might be some some additional artists announced and, unfortunately, there might be some cancellations. As every year, the lineup is subject to change and is never 100% certain until "the curtain goes up."

hlo

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Thanks for letting us know about this festival. We are always looking for something new to do on the weekend.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Welcome!

If you have any appreciation for good, different, ethnic music; I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. You might want to check some of the other threads on this forum about Lotus and/or the Lotus website & links, Youtube videos, etc. to get more of a feel for the festival.

I will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have, just post them on the forum and . . . .

Might add more later,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Thought I'd give this a bump as a few more acts have been added to the lineup.

hlo

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

I have looked at the website and it looks like the festival showcases music and art from different cultures does that about sum it up? I admit I did not look at Youtube because I would have a hard time shutting down the computer since some of the clips are so funny I forget what I went to look at originally.

Is there food available? Yep, I always need to make sure I can eat.

I have two grown children- one is a special education teacher at a public school and the other is like a social worker (no master degree yet) in the public school system would it be beneficial for them to go?

They did grow up in a diverse enviroment so I know they are comfortable (and make other people comfortable around them) with people of all backgrounds but they are always looking for something to help 'their" kids. They both live and work in the Indy area.

What are your thoughts?

Edited: 03 August 2013, 01:29
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Yes, the main focus of the festival is music, but there are some other things too.

There is an "Arts Village" where community created art is displayed (and usually some interactive, create more art, project is on-going). There are also some workshops/lectures as well. There's always some during the (free) Lotus in the Park on Saturday (along with some kid oriented arts & crafts stuff) and sometimes some scattered throughout the week or so leading up to the festival, during the festival, and/or immediately following the festival.

As for food, you've got *lots* of choices. Bloomington is a bit of small city food mecca and the festival is held downtown so there are probably 50-75 (mostly independent) restaurants within a few minutes walk of the festival venues. In the past food has been available at the outdoor venues (done by Bloomingfood our local co-op grocery); I presume this will be the case this year too.

I imagine your "kids" will enjoy the festival in general and will probably find something worthwhile for "their kids" too. Education is a fairly strong component as well, many (most?) artists will spend some time between songs describing their culture, the history of their music, the instruments they're playing, etc.

Also, you might want to tell your kids about the Lotus Blossoms program. This take place over a few weeks each spring. Artists are brought in and travel around to various schools to perform and teach about their music, culture, etc. Don't believe any Indy schools have ever been part of this, but I'm fairly certain that spreading this into the Indy are has been discussed and do know they get out into some of the counties surrounding Bloomington.

That's all for now,

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Oh yeah, to decrease your chance of being distracted by "shinny objects" while doing Youtube re: Lotus, here's a few links to some Youtubers with Lotus videos:

1. This is the "official" Lotus one:

www.youtube.com/user/LotusIndiana

2. This is one that is done by a professional videographer (who is also on the Lotus board), so it's all high quality stuff:

www.youtube.com/user/knoeful

3. This is from somebody who lives in Cincinnati and has been coming to Lotus for years (covers some non-Lotus Bloomington stuff too):

www.youtube.com/user/handeaux?feature=watch

Later,

hlo

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Thank you. I appreciate all your information.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Okay, time for some updates. The "bad news" is that (pretty much an always/every year), a band isn't going to make the festival. (The really good need being that so far, only one).

Actually the good news overall (in my opinion and I'm sure my wife's), is that Vasen is filling at least one of the sets that opened up.

Bottom Line: Yes, Lotus lost s band but overall 20th year will be as good or *bette"r than past years in 2013.

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Okay my last(?) pre-festival posting this year.

The weather looks to be GREAT during year's festival and we've about gotten ready for all our guests.

Hope '"newbies" will attend and if you want any final advice:tidbits . . . post in this tread (soon).

hlo

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lotus World Music Festival 2013 - First Look @ Lineup

Okay I lied, maybe *this* will be my last posting?

Here's a link to a youtube video from the first concert related to this year's festival:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Also, if you check this guy's youtube account you'll find other videos (all high quality) from past festivals and other Lotus events.

Looking forward to the first show(s) I'll attend tonight and the rest of the weekend's events!

hlo