We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weekend in Indianopolis

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
weekend in Indianopolis

I am traveling to Indy with my husband (he will be attending a meeting)...staying at Hampton Inn Carmel....I am interested in shopping on Saturday....Am curious about whether renting a car would be applicable as I understand that cab fare from airport to this hotel alone is $40.....would it also be that high to downtown....or is downtown not the best for shopping.....???

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

I'd advise you to rent a car, driving around Indianapolis is relatively easy. I moved out from Indy a month ago and when I go back I rent cars using hotwire.com. I can get a full sized car for less than $20 a day most times. Your hotel is easy to get to from the airport.

For shopping, I'd recommend Keystone at the Crossing at 86th street and Keystone Avenue. That's just one exit east of the I-465 one at Meridian/Hwy 31 which is the one you would use to get from the airport to your hotel. The shopping there is wonderful. They have one of the largest Pottery Barn stores in the US, a Crate and Barrel, Saks Fifth Avenue, Tommy Bahama, Cole Haan, Tifffany, Sony, Brighton and I'm not sure, but the Nordstrom might be open by now as well. Castleton Mall is just one exit off the interstate east of this and there you will find Macy's, Sears, Penny's and the usual mall stores. I said Keystone at the Crossing because many of their stores are not in most normal malls so it might be more what you have in mind.

There are also some very good restaurants at Keystone at the Crossing.

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

Excellent advice by Gabby.

Another shopping option I might throw out is Clay Terrace, an outdoor "lifestyle" center (whatever that means), no more than 5-8 minutes north of the Hampton Inn on the west side of Hwy 31/Meridian St. Some interesting shops there along with a few decent restaurants. My wife loves it.....consequently I don't ;^)

atj

Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

Thanks for all the info...will be very helpful....!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

EEK, I completely spaced that one, ATJoe!!!!

I'd say Clay Terrace as Joe suggested and also Keystone at the Crossing.

Clay Terrace has White House/Black Market, Sur La Table, Chico's, DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse!), Z Gallerie among other stores.......those are my favorites! There are a couple of very good places to eat there as well.

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

No worries, Gabby! You're allowed a small oversight every once in a while! Just glad to see you haven't forgot about us now that your move is apparently complete. Maybe you can wave on your way back and forth from Vegas!!

atj

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

I'll be in Indy from next Sat til june 6 and again late Aug.......fly to Vegas from there! ;) What's so silly about my not tinking of Clay Terrace is the fact I'm going to be out there on Mon after I get back!

7. Re: weekend in Indianopolis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 10:22
Get answers to your questions about Carmel