We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Which Chesterton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Flint, mi
Level Contributor
751 posts
1,149 reviews
Save Topic
2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Will there be a 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival in Chesterton Indiana?

9 replies to this topic
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

in.gov/visitindiana/…

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Hmmmm . . . looks like we have some conflicting information. According to the above link, there will be a festival this year, BUT . . . .

According to something posted on the festival's Facebook page, there won't be one this year. Here's the link:

www.facebook.com/OzFestival?filter=2

Unfortunately, I'm going with what's on the Facebook page (no festival) as it is dated just a few days ago (8/2/13).

hlo

Hebron, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

I live in the area and the last thing that I had read in the newspaper about the festival was unless there was a new sponsor it would be canceled this year but if it says no festival this year on their facebook page, that's probably true. I know there were talks of relocating it to another town.....hopefully that will happen if it can't be in Chesterton and there will be one next year.

Sadly, Margaret Pelligrini, who was a flowerpot munchkin and the only "munchkin" to make it to last year's festival, passed away today. at age 89.

Flint, mi
Level Contributor
751 posts
1,149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Sorry to hear the news about Margaret Pelligrini. Last year was the first time I went to Chesterton (with some friends that have regularly attended the festival). She was very excited to be at the fundraiser auction and donated a dress that she wore in the movie.

What will the festival do with the funds raised last year if the festival is cancelled? Hopefully at least a memorial to Margaret Pelligrini and all of the other great participants of this event.

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Does anyone know what time this will be over on Sunday? I want to take my girlfriend, but i want to make sure it is still going on after church.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Travis,

First, welcome to the TA forums!

Second, if you review the responses, it appears this event has been cancelled for this year.

While there is some conflicting information, I think the more current and "direct" information point to it not happening in 2013. I'm pretty sure the link showing dates for it is probably based in information that would have been submitted well in advance. The more recent (and "local") information (newspaper & Facebook page) indicate it will not happen.

Unless you have other (recent, reliable) information, I wouldn't plan on going. And, if you do have information the event is on it would be great if you posted it here.

hlo

Valparaiso, Indiana
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Come on somebody say yes or no....this is stupid!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,430 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

Well, sorry you think it is "stupid" for people to try to help total strangers out of the goodness of their heart. If you taken the time to read all the responses (maybe you did, but I don't think so). There's a link up there that points to a page that among other things states:

<start quote of recent (September 8, 2013) posting on the Festival's Facebook page>

Another moderator speaking here: It has been posted multiple times on this page as well as other sites that our former sponsor cut us off and left us with no means of carrying on this year. The festival committee tried very hard to keep the festival going this year but no one in the area would step up to support us. The reason this page has not been shut down has also be explained numerous times. First and foremost, we do not consider the festival to dead. We are simply not having one this year. There are sponsors and organizations interested in continuing the festival in 2014. DuneBIG waited too late in the game to announce that they were dropping the festival, which did not leave sufficient time to plan and execute a 2013 edition. Furthermore, even if the festival were to go defunct entirely, this page would be retained as a place to share memories and as a resource of photos and other Oz-related information.

<end quote of recent (September 8, 2013) posting on the Festival's Facebook page>

You could have easily read the above if you had clicked on the link provided. I actually went and cut & paste it into this response; is *that* good enough? Here I though leading a horse to water was enough . . . guess we've got to make him drink too.

hlo

Chesterton, Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival

I ready want to go Chesterton, Indiana in next year of 2014.

Reply to: 2013 Wizard of Oz Festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chesterton