We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Estor Trip Report

Which El Estor hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
El Estor Trip Report

Well, I was disappointed that I couldn't get to Bocas del Polochic Wildlife Reserve except by way of a $300 round trip boat ride. I told the office overseeing the tourism project that it was unfortunate they were limiting themselves to tourism by only the rich. That destination was my only reason for being in El Estor.

No offense to the little town but there isn't much there except for an awesome church with a cool blue fish on it, and that area of the lake isn't very clean.

I did, however, find an awesome hotel on the Lake (it was too late to move on to another town) and here is my review of it:

Cabañas Caabul

This is where I stayed after checking out of Posada de Don Juan because the room wouldn’t cool down from its sweltering heat and it was percolating the stringent cleaners used. It was the same price and 10 times higher quality. The sink and its taps are all made of wood and it is quite funky. It was my first carpeted room in Guatemala, but somehow it worked. There is a nice restaurant attached (no cocktails) and they made me a really hearty salad for dinner with an excellent homemade lime dressing. The hotel is right on the lakeshore, although I didn’t swim as I don’t consider Lago Izabal terribly clean, and in a quiet neighbourhood away from what might be referred to as the bustle of El Estor. If you have to stay in El Estor, this is the place to do it.

8 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Estor Trip Report

Thanks for posting - sorry for the extra time and expense you devoted to getting some where ungettable with a reasonable budget. :-(

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Estor Trip Report

Just for anyone who comes across this post, the name of the place is Cabanas Chaabil, and they also have a nice restaurant. You can swim right of the hotel pier if you want. You can also access the hot waterfall across from Finca Paraiso from El Estor. I do agree that getting to the Bocas de Polochic is not very easy or affordable, and I wish they'd come up with a way to make it more accessible.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Estor Trip Report

Craig - Would that be a cool thing for me to do some year with a group in tow? Sometimes the transportation cost with a group is far less per person than if an individual or couple are heading somewhere.

Found this:

vivatravelguides.com/central-america/…

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Estor Trip Report

When in El Estor a nice ride is the backway into Coban. You go via chicken bus on up through dense foliage through several small villages/farms. Slow and a tad bumpy it is quite scenic. Happy trailmix. Beware of touts with links.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 23:07
Central America
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Estor Trip Report

Not much to attract visitors to El Estor and things can get a bit interesting in that area sometimes.

Nearby Finca Parasio is awesome, with hot and cold intersecting waterfall and stream. Go during the week to avoid crowds. They also have cabanas on Lago Izabal.

Lago Izabal is clean except near population centers like El Estor and Mariscos.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
2,713 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Estor Trip Report

Stacey, I think you get in touch with Defensores de la Naturaleza in El Estor about getting to Bocas de Polochic; if not them, it's some other environmental NGO in El Estor. I suspect that $300 is the minimum and that it would be more for a group. I like Chaabil, but I think these days I'd opt for Hotel Calle Real -- for AC, hot showers, and cable.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 00:07
Punta Uva, Costa...
Level Contributor
291 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Estor Trip Report

The back road collectivos to Coban were indeed an adventure! I saw the rural centres and the second portion, switching busses in a hopping little centre whose name was not in my travel guide, was amongst the most gorgeous landscape I have seen in Guatemala (and it is ALL gorgeous).

Update on the Polochic transport - I was informed it would be cheaper with a group of 4 or more in the always humourously-translated, "you need to find some friends."

Edited: 22 August 2013, 17:29
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Estor Trip Report

¡Gracias a todos!

Reply to: El Estor Trip Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted