We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants?

Southeast Missouri
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants?

Hi, we are coming to Indianapolis the beginning of June for the Bob and Tom charity motorcycle ride. We have our lodging, but wondered about recommended places to eat while we're there. We like to try the local restaurants and avoid the chains when we can. We're not looking for upscale, but the places that a visitor shouldn't miss.

Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants?

Here's my favorites of the non-chains:

1. Peterson's (Fishers @ 96th & I-69) - fresh take from a local chef/owner on steak and seafood; loves a challenge - will sometimes prepare special requests; great waitstaff & initimate feel - unassuming on the outside though. Best cocktails in town, and a very nice wine list. Expensive.

2. Bonge's Tavern (Perkinsville, IN - about 20 minutes north of Fishers in rural Hamilton County) - here's their web address: http://www.bongestavern.com/ this was THE place to go about 6 to 8 years ago, but has gone through several owner/chef changes. It has now returned to it's former quality of food, and the crowds are starting to find their way back ... eclectic menu, rustic old pharmacy building in a rustic old Hoosier town - typically folks tailgate outside the restaurant as waits can be two hours or longer - - last time I was there (1 month ago) there were none of the Bentley's, Ferraris, or similar exotic cars that you used to see parked outside, but it was a very cold and rainy night. Moderate to Expensive.

3. Scotty's Brewhouse (96th Street between Keystone Ave. and Allisonville Road) - local chain, originating just off campus at Ball State in Muncie, expanding to West Lafayette and Bloomington, and recently opening here. Very good bar food in a nice sports bar type setting. As you'd expect, a very nice range of beers on tap. Moderate.

4. Ambrosia (Broad Ripple) - An excellent Italian restaurant that has become a feature of Indy's bohemian strip of bars, nightclubs, and restaurants - Broad Ripple. Long-time family ownership and very proud of the quality of their Italian cuisine - excellent, although limited, wine list. Everything made in-house - including the desserts (pretty rare anymore ... even at some otherwise top restaurants). Moderately expensive.

5. Bazbeaux's Pizza (West Main Street - Arts District of Carmel, or Broad Ripple, or Mass. Avenue) - the best pizza in the city. Roman style pizza (thin crust with high quality toppings, including odd/gourmet toppings) and a few other pizza house type offerings (salads, sandwiches, ...). Inexpensive.

6. Slippery Noodle Inn (Downtown Indy - S. Meridian St.) - Live jazz club serving very good bar food. A downtown staple. Inexpensive to Moderate.

7. St. Elmo's Steakhouse (Downtown Indy) - Not my cup of tea, but a landmark restaurant in Indy. Some folks swear by their steaks - I prefer Petersons, Morton's, and Sullivan's to St. Elmo's steaks. Their shrimp cocktails are their signature dish - the horseradish heavy cocktail sauce and shrimp as big as your foot are what get people's saliva glands going. Set in a turn of the century style decor, complete with1890's bar AND plenty of wrasslin' photos (?). Many folks eat here every time they come to town on business.

8. Several Mass. Avenue restaurants (very near northeast side) - Mass. Avenue is Indy's new "Broad Ripple", but is right downtown making it easier for visitors to explore it's rapidly expanding charms. Among the good restaurants there: the Scholar's Inn (american cuisine - very popular - expensive), Elements (also very popular - eclectic menu heavy on the seafood and unusual presentation - expensive), Bazbeaux's (already mentioned), Agio (Italian - moderately expensive), Yats (cajun/creole - very inexpensive and very good), the Chatterbox (live jazz and decent bar food - tiny place, but where the Stones visit when they're in the area, and where Winton Marsalis has brought his band to "drop in and play" the last several times they've been in town), and Aesop's Tables (Mediterranean - casual/bohemian - moderate)

Other quick-in, quick-out originals: Arni's (popular Arni's Junior Salad, plus normal bar food type cuisine), Steak 'n Shake (originated here), Mug 'n Bun Drive In (near southwest side).

Have a great time here in Indy!

Bargersville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants?

Bynum's Steak House, 3850 south Meridian St. from down town just stay on Meridian about 5 min drive south. Very relaxed casual feel, Most meals are from $8.00 to $17.00 range, they do have several items a little more expensive too, but well worth the price. My favorite is the 32 oz prime rib(if you want could be for two/I don't like to share though LOL), biggest peice of meat I've seen, for $25.00, along with salad/ french onion soup and potatoe. Really good!

If you like itilian, "Iaria's" is great! 317 s. college Ave. East of down town center south on college ave approx 1 min from washington st.

Iaria's has been around longer then any other itilian restaurants I know of here in indy, it's by the bowling alley, don't let location full ya, food is excellent at really good prices, Milano Inn itilian is also on this street, they're pretty good, too, 201 s capitol. move are casual wear...

For more upscale, wife like Mortons Steakhouse, 41 e washington, exellent steaks, just to stuffy for my taste though, like to wear tshirs and jeans, really exspensive also!

3. Re: Restaurants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis