We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

cincy
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

Hi my family of 4 (2 girls ages 10 & 6) are coming to Indy next weekend. We know we'd like to visit the zoo and the children's museum. Does Indy have an off broadway show or live theaters for children? DO hotels charge for parking? I'd like to stay at a hotel and walk to most attractions. I checked out the Hyatt Regency and it looked as though we would be right in the middle of all the attractions. Any help or info for our weekend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tay

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
923 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

Most of the downtown hotels charge for parking. You will need to drive to the Children's Museum - no nearby hotels. The zoo is about a mile walk from the downtown hotels. I am not sure if the zoo is still charging for parking.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
378 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

If you stay at one of the downtown hotels (Hyatt included) around the RCA Dome the zoo would be within walking distance. Next to the zoo, there is the Indiana State Museum (with IMAX inside), Eideljorg Museum( native American art), NCAA Hall of Champions, White River State Park, and Victory Field( minor league baseball). The Indianapolis Children's Museum is about 3 or 4 miles farther north. Much too far to walk. Also, if you like shopping, Circle Center Mall is right next to the downtown hotels. The Soldiers and Sailors Monument on the Circle is just a few blocks away also.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

Unfortunately, most of the theatres are on summer hiatus at this time. A few still have shows, but I don't know of any that would be appropriate for pre-teens. "Reefer Madness - the Musical" is a small local production that gets good reviews, but ... And "Death for a Salesman" probably wouldn't ring their chimes either ...

There is a Comedy Sportz on Mass. Avenue that is very popular for young families (all clean shows except for the designated not-necessarily-clean time slots). Sorry, can't think of anything else along the lines of a live show/theater for the weekend you'll be here.

Dave

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

Normally, Dance Kaleidiscope and the IRT have shows that play well to young audiences, but not at this time.

If by "next weekend" you mean Mothers' Day Weekend, there is a youth oriented symphonic concert at the Hilbert Theater on the Circle that may well hold their attention (?).

5. Re: Visiting next weekend with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 08:28
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis