We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby friendly restaurants

Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Baby friendly restaurants

Hoping someone could tell me what some good, but baby friendly restaurants are in Indy.. specifically downtown, but we're willing to travel a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

And by baby, I really mean toddler. But he's well behaved if he has food in front of him.

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

What type of food do you like and what sort of atmosphere. Ex. Finer dining or fun casual places. I'd be happy to give you some suggestions as we frequent Indy restaurants with our little ones.

Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

We love seafood, steaks, italian... we're not too picky. At this point, our #1 priority would be knowing it would be a comfortable environment for us with our 13.5 month old.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
463 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

The old spaghetti factory on south meridian would be good. We really enjoy eating there. Get there around five when they open , they don't take reservations. Houlihan's is also another good place in my opinion. Bynum's steakhouse is off I-465 and east street exit on the south side north on meridian street off thompson road. It has great steaks. Drawing a blank right now on others. There are plenty of chain type restaurants on the south side around the Greenwood area. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Bynum's Steakhouse
Bynum's Steakhouse
102 Reviews
Martinsville, IN
Greenwood
Greenwood
Indiana
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

As for downtown, Old Spaghetti Factory is what I was thinking too. Rock Bottom might actually be a good choice b/c the food is excellent and there's lot of variety. It's loud enough that you won't be uncomfortable with children, yet not so loud that you can't enjoy your meal or have your own conversation. We are very comfortable sitting on the restaurant side.

I also suggest the Southport Rd exit off of I-65 South. It's just minutes from downtown, clean, safe, and a great exit if you have children. It has mostly chain places like Pizzeria Uno, Longhorn Steakhouse, and of course my toddler's favorite, Chick-Fill-A. (w/ playland)

Cheeseburger in Paradise is also at this exit, and would be fun if you eat at an off time, but I would skip it during peak hours b/c it can be loud and sometimes has long waits.

FYI: There's also shopping like Target and Kohls plus a Starbucks too.) I believe Pizzeria Uno has call ahead seating and so does Longhorn.

Additional Dining at this exit: O'Charley's, Carrabas Italian Grill, Qdoba, Quiznos, Panera Bread, Steak-n-shake, various fast food

In my opinion Indy is very kid friendly and I am sure you will enjoy your visit! Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Southport
Southport
North Carolina Coast, NC
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I did a little research online as well. We're from Chicago, so we'd like to get to as many "authentic" Indy restaurants as possible (ie: not chains).

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Indy Hostel
Indy Hostel
179 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

You might like Iaria's then. It is a family owned Italian restaurant downtown. Mixed reviews, but we enjoy the atmosphere. We also have a German restaurant called The Rathskellar downtown. Great food and again, good atmosphere. We feel comfortable taking our kids to both places.

Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby friendly restaurants

Just wanted to follow up and say that we did go to Iaria's and were very impressed with the food and service. We are picky eaters and often feel disappointed with food on vacations. Although it took us awhile to find the place (I wasn't expecting it to look like that from the outside, and the sign was hard to read), we were very happy that we didn't give up and found it!