We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farewell, F1.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Farewell, F1.

Much to my dismay, Tony and Bernie were unable to reach an agreement for F1 to return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway next year. Personally, I'm sorry to see the US Grand Prix end. I attended all 8 years and found it to be an enjoyable experience - well, with the possible exception of the tire fiasco of 2005. Nonetheless, most of the fans in attendance were from outside the state and many were from overseas. It created a unique racing atmosphere. Perhaps in the future the egos can be put aside and we can bring back a great event to our fair city.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farewell, F1.

I'm also sorry to see the USGP go elsewhere, but there is a limit to how much pride Tony G. and the city can swallow to put up with the bullying antics of Bernie Ecclestone. While the fun and financial success of the GP will be sorely missed, the upside is will have the pride of knowing we did not cow-tow to Bernie the way so many others do.

Tony G. put a great deal of his personal wealth and prestige on the line to get Bernie to bring his show to Indy. With friends like Bernie ...

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farewell, F1.

I a lso attended the first three races. It was a great event for the speedway and city to host. I can not say the same for Mr. Ecklestone. Greed gets in the way of good ideas and events. The race fans from overseas loved coming to America. Their money goes a lot further and the tickets are not overpriced. It put Indianapolis on a lot of foreigners travel list that would have not otherwise visited our city. I heard many positive remarks about the downtown area.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Farewell, F1.

F 1 wil be missed, HOWEVER, even though I know very little about this MotoGP, I hope it packs in about 200,000 and the city gets behind it fully. I will attend just to see it!!

New Britain...
Level Contributor
892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farewell, F1.

Indyob,

MotoGP is the Forrmula 1 of motorcyles. They can hit speeds over 200mph. The California round this year is expected to draw 300,000 from arond the world. That's why I'm on this mission now so I would be shut out. The on-line hotel booking sites won't book over 11-12 months in advance. My problem is that I'm too cheap to pay full price for a hotel and too old to camp, been there, done that.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Farewell, F1.

BASS.can pretty much guarantee you'll love Indy. Motels/food/drink are usually much better than a lot of places with big events. Of course they do tend to jack rates up like everywhere else

6. Re: Farewell, F1.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 01:16