We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brickyard 400

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Brickyard 400

My son and I are coming into town for the weekend of the Brickyard 400. We'll be arriving on Saturday, attending the race on Sunday, and departing on Monday. I managed to find a room in the northwest part of town (a Red Roof, I believe) - is there anything we should try to see while in town? Any good restaurants to check out?

This is also our first trip to Indianapolis Speedway - our seats are in Stand C, Row FF - did we do ok?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brickyard 400

Sounds like the area you'll be staying is around I 465 and Michigan Road (US 421). That is a pretty nice area with lots of eats. Stand C is just north of the famous "yard of bricks" aka the start/finish line and should be pretty good seats. Remember, The Speedway is a 2 and a half mile oval and is HUGE so you won't be able to see the cars all the way around but there are several big screen monitors that let you see all the action. I would plan on leaving your room by 9:00 a.m. to make sure you get a good parking spot(Ithink the race starts at 1:30) Normally it would be about a half hour drive but expect slow traffic on race morning. The best place for you to park is somewhere on the west side of the track. Will probably pay $20-$25 and might have to walk a mile. How old is your son? A lot of restaurants/bars will be 21 and over dpending on if they allow smoking or not. What type of food or what type of sights might you be interested in?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brickyard 400

Thanks for the tips. I ordered a parking pass at the time that I ordered our tickets - I believe we are to be in Lot 2.

As far as sights go, I doubt there will be much time to seek out anything outside of the race. My son is only six, so I imagine just the excitement of attending a race will be enough to wear him out for the trip. Really looking for suggestions of interesting/kid friendly places to check out. Anything that is local to Indy or that wouldn't be found back in STL would be great.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brickyard 400

Hmmm. Six years old and something you don't have in St. Louis. You've got a great zoo - ours is good, but not THAT good.

The Children's Museum is the first thing that comes to mind. One of the worlds great children's museums - and the largest. Almost perfect for a six year old. It's not all that far from the track - on Illinois St. about 8 miles from the track and about 15 miles from your hotel. The Speedway Museum is very nice too - not sure how a six year old would take it - if he's a racing nut it would be a good thing to check out.

I'm sure others will chime in with other ideas.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brickyard 400

Honestly, I was thinking more about interesting restaurants, as we get in late on Saturday, attend the race on Sunday, and then leave early on Monday. I thought Mug n Bun would be nice, but I don't know how easy it would be to get to with it being so close to the speedway...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Brickyard 400

ANY six year old (or 30/40/50/60 etc) year old should love Mug N Bun. I wouldn't even try it on race day. They should be open til 9 or 10 on Sat. From I 465 on the westside take the 10th Street exit EAST. Go about 2 miles just past Lynhurst and you'll see it on the right. WARNING: 1 large order of onion rings in plenty for two(unless Dad hogs them). Depending on when you get it in on Sat you might try either just hanging around outside the track and walking up and down the streets to see all the souveniour stands or go downtown and walking around there. There will be a lot of not so sober people walking around by the track though. Downtown might be fun to stroll. I doubt if you can find a place to park on the street (it's free at the meters on weekends) but you should be able to find a pay garage. The Circle Centre Mall lots will probably charge about $5 for the night. Walk to The Monument Circle and and walk south down Meridina Street for a while then go over one street west to Illinois and head north. Check out Conseco Fieldhouse, Victory Field, The RCA Dome and the new construction of the new LUCAS FIELD. You might also park close to The Indiana State Museum and NCAA Hall of Champions which is just on the westside of downtown. Behind them is The Canal which is a nice walk. Behind the State Museum is a steam clock that plays "Back Home Again in Indiana" about every 20 minutes, he'd probably like that. Again it all depends on what time you get in on Sat

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brickyard 400

Still can't tell who is more excited - myself or my kid. Just curious - I just swapped my reservation from the Red Roof North to the Red Roof Speedway. Is that an ok area? The draw was being closer to the track, but I'm hoping it is nothing too shady.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
463 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brickyard 400

If you get to the track early enough on Sunday you could check out the Hall Of Fame Museum. But it might be to crowded. Just a suggestion. It is pretty cool and the price is right $3 or $4. Plus there is the Chevy fan fest area in front of the museum area. The gift shop inside the museum has everything that you could possibly be looking for. Enjoy.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brickyard 400

The Red Roof at Speedway is fine. Only about 3-4 miles to track. The area is congested though and you need to be careful when pulling out of the lot onto State Road 136. It will be extremely busy on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. At Indianapolis Raceway Park (now called O'Reilley Raceway Park) there is the Silver Crown race Thursday, The Craftsman Truck Race Friday, and The Busch race Saturday. It;'s about 5 miles up 136. Within walking distance of The Red Roof is a BW-3, Denny's, McDonalds, Long John Silvers, Arby's, White Castle and a Marsh Supermarket. A little farther (probably a drive with a six year old, is an Applebee's. Try calling 317-258-4497 for some more tips (my cell). I still would leave very early for the track on Sunday. There is plenty to look at around the outside of the track and of course the Fan Fest inside is fun for the kids.

9. Re: Brickyard 400

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis
Recent Conversations