We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

motogp, Sept 2008

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
motogp, Sept 2008

We'll be visiting the speedway for the first time for the motogp next year. What sections/stands offer the best viewing of the road course? Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bassman607

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

What is most important for you to see? Turns, high speed straights, start/finish, pits?

My understanding is there will be changes made to the road course, but that they likely will be minimally impacting sightlines from the current stands (mostly track safety arrangements, a few turn geometry issues). Just let us know what type of action you most want to see.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

Most of the passing will be entering high speed turns, so this is where we want to be. I think my concern is that the place looks so big on their website. Do I want to be in one of the penthouses? In one of the lower stands? The turn 7 terrace? Will the garages block our view from the SW corner? I know the race is over a year away but this the first time this level of motorcycle racing has been this close to the east coast since Daytona hosted formula 1 bikes over 30 years ago. I couldn't afford Daytona then but I am going to be at Indy.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

Forgot to mention, the bikes will be running counter clockwise, unlike the F1 cars.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

I'll try to do some snooping over the weekend to find out your best seating. ALSO, all the local papers seem to think there will be 150,000 plus in attendance so after The Brickyard weekend you might want to start checking for hotels. Downtown would probably be the most fun AND the most expensive of course. Besides the racing what else might you be interested in here i Indy?

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

This will be a "guys" weekend. There will be my two adult sons, myself and perhaps one other male my age. The plan is to leave Thurs. night and drive until we get to the track sometime Fri. AM. We'll only be in town until the last race on Sun. Other than have a good meal each evening I don't know what everyone is going to want to do.

BTW, can we bring small, lunch box sized coolers into the track? just big enough for a 6-pack. Or will we be raped at the concesion stand?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

With regard to seating, I'm assuming they'll be creating a new "Turn One", as I don't think folks will want to scream into that turn at 210 mph with only a SAFER barrier to keep them in the track - my guess is they'll start the turn earlier and leave the current Turn One area as a run/slide off area. This might change where you want to sit by a little bit. The A & B stands are at the end of the front straight - normally, I'd recommend that you sit in the E Stands to see the front straight (as long as you're not too far east in the E Stands - Sections 4 thru 12 are the best to be in, IMO) and the entire south set of turns. Stand B will probably be right at the start of the new first turn (if there is a NEW first turn), and also is across from the pits. Stand A is a bit closer up the straight towards the Start/Finish line, and is directly across from the bulk of the pits. The Penthouse are great seats in these stands, if not in the Penthouse, then you'll want to be high up in the main stands (double lettered rows, ideally above DD or so). There is also a Penthouse to the E Stands - they're great seats. You can be a bit lower in the main E Stands and still see, as these stands are in the turn and the bikes will be well in front of you (not up against the wall).

The higher rows in the main stands of all three of these stands will be underneath the Penthouse, which could be important - depending upon our fickle fall weather.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
831 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

Hey DAVE...............they are going to alter the track. I think I heard that the bikes will turn into the infield after the south end of the pits. Then there will be about four turns before the enter onto the current, or should I say EX, F 1 track.(From now on I'll just call it the road course). Not sure if The Speedweay shows the configuration on their site yet.

BASS...........yes you can bring a cooler into the track and bring pretty much anything in as long as there is no glass. I think the restriction is 14 inches on the cooler. I can get more than a six pak in mine. Actually the prices at the track aren't too bad. I normal beer is $5 or you can geta Foster's "oilcan" for $6. Hot dogs about $3, sodas $3. Definitley can save by bringing your own though

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

Thanks to both Dave and Indyob.

The track layout is available on the speedway web site if you click on the ticket sales for the Redbull GP. Turn 1 starts infront of sec. B. If I'm in E penthouse, how much of the backside of the track will I see? Is the Penthouse worth the extra $50. They will race in the rain as long as there is no standing water on the track.

The cooler regs. sound the same as at Loudon NH. Cool.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

Box lunches are a tradition at indy btw. Everyone from Kroger to St. Elmo's offer track packs, I would recomend them along with your cooler.

New Britain...
Level Contributor
938 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: motogp, Sept 2008

Thanks for the track pac tip. I'm sure we'll use it.

Basman607