We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

Dear TA Indy Friends:

We are coming to Indy the first weekend in May for my son-in-laws college graduation. He must leave the day after graduation for a 2 week college choral tour. Hubby, myself, and 2 adult daughters would like to take a 3 or 4 day trip together. (without the girls complaining that "she's looking out my window") Can you offer any advise on where to go, what to do? We've thought about Niagara Falls or the Penn. Dutch area, or Chicago. Hubby isn't into art museums, but he is a pretty laid back guy. We all like baseball. Thanks...

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
838 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

Hi MeMe,

While you are in Indy, there is a minor league team, the Indians. Web site: www.indyindians.com/

Also, time trials should be going on for the 500. www.indy500.com

Some ideas on where to go:

Niagara Falls (Canadaian side)

Chicago

Gatlinburg, TN

Nashville, TN

Memphis, TN

St. Louis

Branson, MO

Mammoth Cave, KY

This is just a few ideas. I am sure that other members will have more ideas. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy your trip!

noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
617 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

Chicago would be good, especially if you like baseball. Wrigleyville has the ball field & lots of shops & places to eat. Downtown has Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Planetarium, shopping & lots more. In May the weather should be nice to enjoy time by the lake as well. Chicago is an easy drive (about 3.5 hours to the loop/downtown) from Indy. Niagara & Pennsylvania Dutch areas are much farther away. There is an Amish community in Nappannee, In. with shopping & a museum about the Amish that could be a nice side trip on the way to Chicago or on the return. Hope this helps,

noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
617 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

I also like rwdw's idea of Gatlinburg. It's farther away but hard to beat the beauty of the mountains in the spring.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

I'm also a fan of Chicago. As baseball fans, a trip to Wrigley Field to catch a Cubs game would be an obvious suggestion. You can easily spend a day or two in the Gold Coast/Michigan Ave. area - plenty of shopping, dining, theater, etc.

The ethnic neighborhoods have a lot to offer too - some great meals at little hole-in-the-wall mom 'n pop restaurants.

The Second City Theater (we prefer it's smaller e.t.c. stage) is a great place to go after dinner on the town. And at the time you'll be going, Spring will be raging along the waterfront and in the city parks.

Some of my family's best memories are of our trips together to Chicago for an extended weekend.

Plus, you won't spend the better part of two days in the car if you choose to go here ...

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

Thanks for your input. Think we will rule out Gatlinburg; been there, done that...many times. Chicago is looking good. I'll go to the Chicago site for more ideas of what to do.

For all you Indianapolis natives, we have learned to love your city in the past 3 years. Our "kids" have had a great experience living in your city and have made some wonderful friends! Thanks for your hospitality!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

I vote for Chicago as well, love that city!

7. Re: 3 or 4 days...where to go from Indy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 22:18