We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
3 posts
Save Topic
Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

We are visiting Indy during the week of 7/11-18 with our 15 year old nephew. Suggestions on fun things to do for that age group would be greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

I know you have the Red Sox, but how about an Indianapolis Indians game at Victory Field, he'd like that I'd think. Also go to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indy 500, good museum there and I know they also used to take you on a driving tour of the track, don't know if they still do that or not. The Indianpolis Children's Museum is very interesting and fun and it's not just for younger kids. I love going there when in town.

Is he interested in universities? Indiana University in Bloomington is an easy drive as is Purde in West Lafayette.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

Whereabouts in town will you be staying? Downtown or suburbs?

Indy
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

Other ideas besides the great ones already given...

If he's a sports fan, the NCAA Hall of Fame Museum in White River Park is worth the trip.

I've seen teens take the Segway tour of the White River State park. They seem to enjoy it. You must be 14, so your nephew makes the cutoff. Here's the site with more info: http://www.segwayofindiana.com/

You can also rent bikes (close to the Indiana State Museum) and peddle boats in the canal downtown (close to the State Office Building.)

Up on the northwest side of town we have Eagle Creek Park. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from downtown. He can take sailing lessons on a small sailboat. http://www.eaglecreekpark.org

If you're staying downtown, there's a game area (video games, etc.) on the third floor in Circle Centre Mall as well as a movie theater. Although kids under 18 cannot be in the mall without an adult after 8:30pm. The mall can get a bit intimidating on weekend evenings, so I don't recommend it on weekends after 7pm. Lots of kids hang out without parental supervision, so it can get "interesting".

If you weren't already aware, the Indiana Black Expo is being held July 9-19. There are lots of events surrounding the Indiana Black Expo. Several events are aimed at teens of all races. Check out the calendar of events: http://www.indianablackexpo.com/

Enjoy Indy!

Boston, MA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

We are staying on Sunnyside Road which is near Geist.

Boston, MA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

Thank you for the information. It is always a challenge to figure out what a 15 year boy would enjoy doing!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

I was just there with an 18yo. We ate at the Rathskeller then walked to the City Market. The walk was good as there were several cool stores such as an alternative music shop (though we both wished we had an umbrella -- wasn't raining when we went in!).

The City Market was only so so. But you can get some good food there, always an attraction for a 15yo boy! From there, we walked to the Soldier's and Sailor's Monument. I think he'd like to walk around this and take some pictures, maybe go inside. It has a lot of detail you don't get in a driveby.

We then walked to the Capitol Building (State House?) and toured that on our own. Very impressive. We didn't spend long there but it was interesting.

After that, we went to the mall and caught a movie! So it wasn't all historical visiting.

After this it was time for us to leave town. We didn't have a car so didn't go to the museums. Museums weren't really calling anyway as it was a nice day to be out walking.

On our way out of town, we ate dinner at Shapiro's Deli. I totally recommend this for you and your nephew! It is on Meridian Street south of the stadium and ballpark. Have the meatloaf -- it is GOOD. They are known for sandwiches but we didn't try them. The real location is much better than the sandwich kiosk in the airport.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
459 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

As previuous poster suggested the Soldiers and Sailors Monument is fun to visit and underneath is a Civil war museum with Eli Lilly the soldier related history and information. Very cool. Also recommend the Rathskeller for good beer and food. Check out what interests your family the most and have a great trip.

indpls
Level Contributor
105 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

I have teens so I get the keeping them happy. LOL.

I think Gameworks(huge arcade) is still in the Circle Center Mall downtown as well as a theater and plenty of teens cruise this mall in the evening.

Several putt putt/bowling places on the northside.

Mine like to tube or canoe down Sugar Creek or go to Turkey Run State Park to hike...maybe 1 1/2 hours from where you are at.http://www.indianaoutfitters.com/sugar_creek.html

Canoeing about 30 minutes from where you are staying http://www.whiterivercanoecompany.com/

You could see about renting a jetski since you will be near Geist but I would not recommend doing this during the weekend as its crazy out there.

indpls
Level Contributor
105 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

Forgot to add mine also like to bike on the Monon and you can rent bikes in Carmel for sure and I would expect Broad Ripple too. Butler is another university to visit that is in Indpls.

I am trying to talk my teens into going to Kid Rock/Lynard Skynard with me at the outdoor theater 7/11 if you like doing that. livenation.com/venue/verizon-wireless-music-…

Ice skating at 2 places on the northside. Go for a gondola ride downtown.

indpls
Level Contributor
105 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fun things to do with a 15 year old nephew visiting Indy

And just to monopolize this thread further, lol, I thought of another teen thing. http://greatimesfunpark.com/ ....south side just off I- 465.... go karts, bumper boats, arcade

Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis