We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

I'm taking a red-eye to Indy in a few days. I don't have the luxury of taking the day off to recover, so where would you recommend going for a good breakfast either downtown, near the airport, or on the way out of town going south?

Good coffee is a must!

Indy
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

My top recommendation would be Patachou on the Park downtown at Capitol and Washington. It's part of a "local chain" of breakast/lunch restaurants. The owner uses local and organic foods, and are known for their omlettes and cinnamon toast. There's also a Cafe Patachou at the airport inside the terminal. Haven't eaten at that location, but if it's more convenient for you, it might be worth a try. Coffee is great, btw.

Another great place downtown is the City Cafe, another local restaurant. If you happen to be coming in on a Saturday morning, they offer a "sweet or savory" additions to their regular menu. I recommend the french toast during the week, and the one of the specials on Saturday. They are located on Pennsylvania Ave just south of Michigan.

Try to get rest on the plane! Good luck.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

I will be sleeping on that plane for sure. I have to change planes in Cincinnati at 7, so I have a good long stretch.

I'll see how I feel when I get there, but I will definitely pick up some coffee at the airport Patachou's. I saw that earlier this year but didn't stop. The new airport is really nice!

City Cafe/kitchen (can't see your reply while I 'm writing this) sounds good. I 'll take a look. On the other hand,I have read a lot about the Patachou's but never eaten there; maybe it is time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

As a former Indy area resident and one who was just recently in town for several weeks, I also highly recommend Cafe Patachu.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

Patachou is in the airport so that would be the most convenient for you. We ate there once for lunch and everyone enjoyed everything. I will say that I hope it was just because the location was so new, but we waited over an hour for 2 of us (ther were 4 total) to get our food. Not sure if the server didn't put our order in or what happened. The 2 of us that were waiting had salad sandwiches so it shouldn't have taken more than a few minutes. Like I said it was good and maybe the service was a product of it being so new, it was not long after the airport opened.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

I'm writing this from the Patachou's on the Park -- which was great and has wifi as a bonus.

We looked at the one at the airport, but didn't want to leave our luggage further on at baggage claim.

I had the tomato artichoke soup -- really great if you love tomato soup like I do.

Thanks for all the help! There are a lot of fun places in Indianapolis that I will be trying in the future. I'm glad I can check CP successfully off the list for now.

6. Re: Breakfast to kick off a LONG day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis