We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre deployment hotel?

resqmedic
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pre deployment hotel?

Hello folks I'm currently at Camp Atterbury near Indianapolis, and we are recieving a pass just before we leave for overseas. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice hotel, near good resteraunts, entertainment venues and nightlife. Additionally if you could recommend any fun and interesting things to do over three days I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for any adive you can give

J

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

First off, thank you for your service to our country! Just a couple of questions to narrow choices down a little.

1. Do you have a budget? (rooms are generally $100+ a night, usually more)

2. What are the dates?

Most hotels downtown worth staying in will be close to dining, entertainment, nightlife. Let us know of expectations and we will do our best.

resqmedic
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

Hi, thank you for your support

I'd like to spend under $130 a night if possible, the cheaper the better lol. However I would like clean, comfortable, and a good location

The tenanative dates are from 24 Sept throught 27 Sept

thanks again

J

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

Based on your criteria I'd suggest downtown. While many of the rack rates are at or above your budget, check out Hotwire and/or Priceline and you might/should be able to find a bargain (unless something is big like a major convention is going on at that time).

I've had fairly good luck at getting one of the nicer (4 star, 3.5 star) hotels in downtown for under $100, which makes them a pretty good bargain. Be aware that parking charges (if you have a car) will add a significant percentage to your this cost.

The reason I recommend downtown is that's where there is the greatest concentration of stuff to do (restaurants, entertainment, nightlife, etc.) within walking distance. You will find some of the other hotel clusters around town will have some things within walking distance, however, the overall selection will be much smaller. On the other hand, if you're willing to drive everywhere . . . .

Anyway, hope this is helpful,

HLO

resqmedic
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

Additionally I'm looking for any activities a couple in their late 20's might like to do?

Thanks again!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

Oh yeah, also wanted to mention . . . .

While it's not in Indy, since your question clearly shows you're interested in special/interesting things and entertainment/nightlife (with good restaurants nearby), you might consider Bloomington as an alternative. It's about an hour (west) from Columbus or (south) from Indy and you should be able to find a hotel/motel within your budget.

The main reason I suggest Bloomington is that your tentative dates are when the Lotus World Music Festival is going on this year (actual dates Sept. 24th thru 27th). Won't go into all the details (which can be found at lotusfest.org), but will give a few points. There should be about 25 artists at about 6-8 venues. They close off a few of the downtown streets and have outdoor tents, creating a great "street vibe" and then have some inside venues for quieter artists. The whole thing is pretty compact, I think the maximum walking distance would be ~1/2 dozen (short) blocks. Also, downtown has a very good concentration of restaurants, bars, etc. of just about every cuisine and price range. Two day festival tickets (in advance) run ~$50, a real bargain for two nights of music. There are some separate admission things (opening night and closing concerts) which can be a little as $5 and even a free day of music in a downtown park.

Full disclosure, not only am I a big fan of the Lotus Festival (can you tell?), I'm also on the board of directors of the umbrella non-profit that puts it on.

Anyway, thought I would throw it into the mix,

HLO

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

I am glad you added "activities in their 20's" part too. I did a quick check on hotels.com and it looks like there are quite a few choices below $130: Omni, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, Staybridge Suites, Holiday Inn Express, Hilton (and that's just one website and 2 minutes scrolling through). So that's good news because that means there isn't a huge convention going on that weekend (will keep the prices good). If it were me booking it for a weekend with my wife I would choose between Hampton, Hilton, Embassy and Omni. Not in any order. All are located very central and you will basically walk out of the hotel and fall into stuff to do. Staybridge and Holiday Inn are both very new (built for the new stadium) and I would imagine very clean, but are a few blocks away from everything. Not far enough to keep you from staying, but if all things are equal I would choose from the four, but that's me. As mentioned above, ask about parking charges to factor in total cost, but it is worth it to be downtown. I noticed when doing travel research for myself that most hotels offer discounts for active duty personnel, I am sure you knew that though :-). I will look into whether there are any festivals going on that weekend as well and post it.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

Might/should be able to get a bargain on your hotel. Looks like demand in low for your dates. I just got a Hotwire notice for a 3.5 start downtown hotel in Indy for your dates for $49/night!

Don't know if you'd considered Hotwire and/or Priceline, but based on this notice it looks like you should be able to get a deal on your hotel.

You should check out: http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/ and/or http://www.betterbidding.com/ before booking or bidding for some of their hints & tip and to see which hotel(s) the Hotwire deal might be and/or what one you might get via Price line. Remember, sometimes their definition of "downtown" can be outside of what you might think it is.

Anyway, it doesn't look like anything big is going on in Indy during your dates (or if there is it hasn't filled to downtown hotels).

resqmedic
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

Thank you folks you gave me some wonderfull ideas and leads I really appreciate it

J

9. Re: Pre deployment hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2010, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis