We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Debary
Level Contributor
983 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Last night before my flight, I looked around the food court in the center hall of the Indy Airport, searching for a relatively inexpensive bite to eat along with a glass of wine.

Looking at some of the menus posted out front, it appeared the wine ranged from $5.99 to $8.00 a glass. Not cheap, but not outrageous considering the location.

I came across the Indy 500 Grill and saw they offered a "soup of the day" for $4.99 and thought this would be great, and they had a bar up front so there would be wine available.

I ordered my bowl of soup and a glass of the house red wine and both were quickly brought to my table, followed shortly by the bill.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw I had been charged $12.00 for that very small glass of wine! I called the server over and said there was a mistake, that I must have been charged for two glasses of wine. But no, the server said the bill was correct and that she and the other workers hated the pricing tactic as much as the customers did. She offered me a card with contact information so I could voice my complaint and urged me to do so.

I couldn't get through to anyone via the phone, but I did send an e-mail relating my experiene and my decision to avoid this franchise at all costs.

The company's corporate name is SSP, The Food Travel Experts, and it is a global company with locations worldwide, so the restaurant name will be different at each location.

But heck, I'm so outraged, I will go out of my way in the future to ensure I never patronize this company again, and will inquire before I enter to ensure it is not "SSP."

Just a warning to fellow travelers so you won't get robbed like I was.

noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
617 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Sorry about this unfortunate experience. I can assure that is considered steep in Indpls. & more like a fine dining establishment. But thank you for sharing your experiences so the rest of us will not have the same problem.

SB2

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Wow. Really sorry to hear that. That's really an unreasonable price. I think the food prices at the airport are unfortunate in general.

I'm curious about how you got snookered into paying $12. I noticed you mentioned that the other restaurants were upward of $8 per glass. What price did the Indy 500 Grill post? What was the pricing tactic that the servers disliked so much?

Unfortunately, this restaurant is not yet listed on TA for reviews, so you would have to be the first one to do it and it's kind of a hassle to get it listed. Takes TA about a week or two to list it after you request that they do it. But if you feel committed to getting the word out, this would be a good way to do that.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

I too am curious, what exactly is the "pricing tactic?"

If I had to guess from your description, it's that the "house wine" price is higher than the prices listed, which are for wines other then the house wine (which of course is counter intuitive and not standard practice), but that's just a guess.

Inquiring minds want to know . . . .

HLO

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Unfortunate.

The menu said wine would be from $5.99 to $8.00 per glass and they charged you $12? You have a legal claim, my friend. Unless you just misread the menu, and had simply missed that the house wine actually DID cost $12.

Regardless, that better be some damn fine wine.

Debary
Level Contributor
983 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Oh no, no claim here, it was my own stupidity mostly.

I had looked at nearly all of the other menus in the food court, then came to this place and saw the advertised "soup of the day $4.99", noted that they had a small bar so would have wine, and ordered without looking at a menu. I was wrong in assuming that their wine prices would follow those in the rest of the food court.

The server just meant that the wine prices were way out of line with any place else, and most people ordering a glass of house wine don't realize it until they get their bill.

By the way, I still haven't received a reply from SSP - should I hold my breath?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Flahagan: No, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Someone at SSP is probably reading your complaint letter with a big smile and lighting a cigar with a ten and two ones.

Look, you got ripped off. It happens to us all from time to time and it's infuriating. You have all my empathy because I have also made the same kind of misjudgment. But, for whatever this is worth to you, I think your latest post shows some real integrity and I congratulate you because it sounds like you have accepted personal responsibility for not understanding the price before you bought, for making an assumption that the prices would be similar to their competitors. You have made us all wiser for it and I can tell you I will avoid that restaurant when I'm at the airport -- retribution in your name! :) All the best . . .

Honk

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

"Haven't we all been burned by that old trick at least once?" said Ainwa, recalling the last time she ordered a daily special without inquiring about the price.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

I'm sorry you had that experience, but boycotting a restaurant due to high prices on an item you didn't think to check into first (and I admit--Indianapolis has disgustingly high food and alcohol taxes that frequently makes eating out prohibitively expensive) seems excessive. The 500 Grill is a more than decent restaurant food-wise and the rest of their prices, especially in an airport context, are fair. And alcohol prices in the restaurants at the airport do tend to be higher than in the stand-alone bars there.

When in the Indianapolis Airport and you want a drink, I recommend trying Vinea, the stand-alone bar that is opposite the 500 Grill. Good wine selection and fair prices.

And for a superb fine dining experience at the airport (and I am not making this up), check out Harry & Izzy's on Concourse A. Even if your flight leaves from Concourse B, it is worth crossing the airport (you don't have to go back through security) to get there.

I don't work for any of these restaurants--I am just very familiar with trying to get food at Indianapolis International!!

minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

I wish I had seen your posting earlier. I was shocked when I was charged $12.00 for the unposted price of the wine. I have tried to find the web site to complain and will avoid this restaurant on further trips to IND.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay away from Indy 500 Grill at airport

Amen.