We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condolences to IndyDave....

Indiana
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Condolences to IndyDave....

I've been debating about posting something here and after lengthy consideration decided to do so.

About two weeks ago I went to Hinkle Fieldhouse to watch/work at a Butler basketball game. As I entered the historic facility, a very simple display on one of the seats caught my attention. On the front row of seats just behind the Butler bench was a seat with a single rose, a small stuffed Bulldog mascot, and a lettered sign "Bill, you will be missed". Just prior to the start of the game I saw a couple of ladies come in and sit down in those seats.

At halftime of the game I went over to introduce myself and offer condolences to the the lady that I'd seen at several games in previous years. When she asked how I knew her late husband, I mentioned that I'd met her son here on this Forum and then met her husband through that contact.

IndyDave's father was only 77-yrs old at his passing but he'd lived a very full life. The son of a grocer/nurse, Dave's dad graduated from Ball State, became a CPA with a major Indy firm, was in active community service through Ball State, Butler, and Purdue, plus on numerous boards including Goodwill Industries, the Indpls Zoo, Indy Chamber of Commerce, and United Way to name but a few. In recent years his passion had become watching Butler basketball and his wife told me that night that IndyDave's father would have wanted her to be there to root on the Bulldawgs.

My sincerest condolences to IndyDave during this time of great loss. As the sign indicated that night "you will be missed" but I'm sure this wonderful man made a lasting impression on those that he came in contact with. He will be missed but never forgotten.

noblesville, Indiana
Level Contributor
617 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

Our best wishes to IndyDave. His dad sounds like a wonderful guy who knew how to live. Thanks for posting this BullDawgFan-1.

SB2

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,856 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

What a nice tribute to IndyDave's father, thank you for your thoughtfulness.

IndyDave, my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

Thank-you Bulldawgfan. My mom was so pleased with the recognition of dad at that game - he was so passionately dedicated to Butler, and such a devotee of Butler Basketball. It's very kind of you to share the story.

There really is NOTHING like attending a basketball game at Hinkle Fieldhouse. Even if you're not aware of the history of the place or it's iconic place in the fading notion of "Hoosier Hysteria" - you can't avoid feeling that you've stepped into a different era - a golden era - of basketball when you attend a Butler, or an Indiana high school game or tournament at Hinkle. It captured my father's heart, it has captured mine, yours, and so many others. If you enjoy basketball - a trip to see a Bulldog game at the fieldhouse will be one of the best things you can do on a trip to Indy.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

Dave, sincerest and deepest condolences for your loss. I'm sorry to hear this. I am glad BullDawgFan let us all know what has happened.

Honk

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

Im glad you posted this. We are nothing without relationships and the people that make places so memorable. Thank you for remembering someone and thank you for sharing with the rest of us. It is the people who are passionate about their cities, schools, teams, attractions, museums, culture and communities that make each place special. Thanks to you and to IndyDave :)

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Dave.

It's not easy to live far away at a time like this. I hope you're able to get back and take some time.

I will try to get to a game at Hinkle Fieldhouse sooner or later!

7. Re: Condolences to IndyDave....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis
Recent Conversations