We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

Can anyone help me narrow down the myriad of hotel choices in the downtown area? We are a family with two middle school children who would enjoy a pool when we are not touring President Harrison's house, the Eiteljorg Museum and taking in a play at the the Indiana Repertory Theater during our one day in Indy. We'd like either free parking or to be in an area where we wouldn't have to move the car to visit these attractions in late March. I have narrowed it down to the following choices because of the breakfast that is included and the pool, but am having a hard time finding out which is in the best location: Embassy Suites, Comfort Suites City Center, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn. If there are good, cheap breakfast restaurants nearby we'd consider these properties: Courtyard by Marriott, Hilton, Homewood Suites. Thanks for your help!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,500 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

Truth is I think any of your choices are fine and you won't be disappointed. Can't say I recognized every single one re: exact location, but the ones that I do aren't more than a handful of blocks from each other - basically equal. (You'll walk a little farther to one then from one of them, but another thing will be closer, etc.)

I'd probably tell you to pick the one with the best rate and go with that. About the only other thing to add is on parking; doubt you'll find free parking with any of them (but you might find a "parking included" rate). Most of the downtown hotels have pretty hefty parking fee and check them out/include it in your total cost calculation. Doubt sure you'll see a dramatic difference between any of them, but it might be enough to make the "lowest" rate not the actual lowest.

You'll find plenty of reasonable options for out of hotel breakfasts downtown as well. All close enough to walk to. Won't go into all the options right now, but they do exist.

Hope this is helpful,

hlo

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
911 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

President Harrison's house would not be within easy walking distance of any of your choices. The Embassy Suites is next door to the IRT - you could get to the IRT without going outside. But there will be a parking charge. It is also an easy two block walk from the Eiteljorg. I also suspect the breakfast at the Embassy will be much better than at the other choices

Comfort Suites City Center is down by Lucas Oil Stadium and slightly removed from downtown. I know there is a parking deck - don't know about the charge, but it isn't as convenient as your other choices.

Springhill Suites I imagine is the new hotel very close to the Eiteljorg. It has been open for a few weeks - its part of the new Marriott complex - with underground parking garage I am guessing you would have a parking charge there.

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

I would suggest Homewood suites. Many good reviews on this site. Lots of good feedback by word of mouth. Just my opinion. Have friends visit Palatine twice a year . In the spring and summer. Great suburb. Enjoy Indy. Lots to do downtown.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

Taking the advice of looking for the best rate, here are some other properties that have come up (via Hotwire): Sheraton City Center/Crowne Plaza-Union Station. Are these one an the same? The rate offered is only $59 per night or I can get the HI Express for $57. No breakfat at the first, but it looks very nice in the photos, and the HI Express is pretty standard, I'm sure. Are the locations good for my attractions?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

Of the accomodations already mentioned I would recommend (in no order) Hilton, Crown Plaza and Homewood. Hilton has a pool (top floor, or almost top) and great breakfast (on the pricey side but very good) and great location. Crown Plaza has a pool, good breakfast and great location. Homewood not sure about pool or breakfast but the rooms are great (especially with kids) and the location is great. Embassy is in a good location but I haven't been there in quite some time and not sure when it was last updated. Comfort Suites, Springhill and Residence aren't in a bad location (there really isn't as long as you are downtown) but they are a few blocks south of "ideal". Hopefully this helps.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
911 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

The HI Express and Comfort Suites are by Lucas Oil Stadium. A little less than a half mile from the Eiteljorg, close to three quarters of a mile to the IRT. They are "on the other side of the tracks" from downtown. You would need to cross under the railroad tracks that run along the South side of downtown. I know of no security incidents or concerns in this area - but I think it would be at least at a minimum a somewhat uncomfortable feeling walking back at night from an IRT performance as the area will probably be somewhat deserted unless there is a baseball game going on. I have never had an issue in the area, but am usually there only after a baseball game or an event at Lucas Oil Stadium. I have been in similar areas in other cities without incident, but there was always "nervous" time.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

I have parked on the street at night in downtown Indy to avoid the overnight parking charge. No bad surprises.

Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

In response to your question about the Sheraton and others. I would not recommend the Sheraton. There is nothing wrong with it per se, but it is not up to what I expect of a Sheraton ( I was a platinum member of Starwood for about five years running and have stayed at Sheratons across the the country. The one in Indy is the worst I have ever stayed in with the possible exception of the Universal City Sheraton in LA/Burbank. It's just kind of tired and not up to snuff, but for $60, that would be OK. I have not personally stayed at the others, but the Homewood Suites is the personal favorite of one of my colleagues who visits often.

Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

The Hilton is a great choice. Some rooms are called "junior suites," and they are huge. The main room and bathroom are giant, and French doors separate it from a living room with a sleeper sofa. My family has stayed in these rooms a couple of times, and I thing the rate was the same or comparable to a regular room. You might call and ask - it might just be a matter of requesting on of these rooms. The pool is on an upper floor. It's better than most other hotel pools downtown, but still a bit small. Hot tub there is nice. I believe the Indianapolis Marriott has the best pool downtown, if that's a factor.

Rooms at Holiday Inn express were also very nice and large. The pool there is very small. I wouldn't choose it if you plan to swim.

As far as parking, you'll probably find street parking around your hotel. Not hard to come by in Indy on weekends and evenings.

I agree that Springhill Suites and Homewood Suites aren't situated for a family to walk to the mall or IRT. Passing under the train tracks is a little dodgy. It's just dark. Not known as a crime-ridden spot or anything. The section on Meridian Street would probably be okay, now that a restaurant is open on that block. And - you could always just drive from your hotel to the IRT. Seems a little silly to drive 6 blocks, but that's the culture in Indy.

For breakfast, I think the House of Pancakes is still open at Crown Plaza. Not sure about the $$$. If you want something memorable, go to Patachou on the Park, caddy-corner from the IRT. Amazing waffles, omelets and egg sandwiches. No pancakes. A bit of a splurge for breakfast, but worth every penny.

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
461 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Too many Downtown hotel choices for our family's one night

I appreciate IndyMeghan's comments about the pool. I would prefer a Hilton family property (in order to build up my HHonors account) if possible and thought I had read that the pool at the Hilton was on the top floor with great views of the city. How is the Marriott's better?

Growler69: Thanks for the comments about the Sheraton. No matter the condition, I expect it will be nicer than the properties we'll be staying in in Bowing Green and Louisville. And if I can get an awesome Hotwire price, I'll happily forgo the HHonors points. Thanks, too, for inquiring of your colleague who travels there often!