We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A yummy place for a lunch stop.

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sunnyvale1
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
A yummy place for a lunch stop.

I am looking for a yummy place to stop and have lunch as we drive through you wonderful city. Thank you for sharing.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

I'm not actually from Indy, but my brother took us to the Illinois Street Food Emporium. A nice deli/bakery type place, with friendly service and lots of yummy baked goods, as well as good sandwiches. It's on 5550 N Illinois St, which I think isn't far from Butler U.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

When you say "drive through" what do you mean? Are you driving on I-465, I-70, I-65, there are many roads and if you are just looking for a quick lunch stop off of the interstate it will depend on what road you're on. If you are coming through on 70 downtown might be an option. 465 could encompass all suburban areas, etc. Let us know and we can be more specific.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

Agree with McWill

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

It depends on road you'll be driving and price point. If you're looking for an affordable deli on the south edge of downtown - Shapiro's is great and has a wide variety of things from which to choose. It's cafeteria style. Mass Ave runs diagonally through downtown and serves up everything from affordable and tasty cajun at Yatz to fish & chips or beef dip at MacNivens or gourmet farm to table at R Bistro. Rathskeller is also on Mass Ave and offers German food and over 50 kinds of imported beer. Patachou also offers great farm to table organic dishes. The Pita Pit on Pennsylvania bills itself as fresh food and fresh thinking (green certified). If you are on south side and want to check out Fountain Square area, I'd highly recommend Santorini's Greek or Taste of Siam (Thai).

sunnyvale1
Level Contributor
30 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

Sorry I should have given you more information. We will be coming in on the 74 and leaving on the 65. I hope that helps. We enjoy places that are special to that area

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

I suggest Shapiro's deli. It's off 70 and 65 on the south edge of downtown. It's indigenous to the area and is known for it's NYC style Jewish deli food. It is a beloved city establishment.

It doesn't get any better than a Corned Beef on Rye and a kosher pickle.

You can Google it, it is very well known.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

If you are heading on 65 south of Indy go to Oaken Barrel.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

If you're taking that route, you're likely jumping onto I-465 (we don't say "the" interstate number in Indy ...) on the west side of Indianapolis, and driving south, then east to I-65.

Greenwood is likely your best bet (any of several I-65 interchanges south of Indy) for food. Some of the south-siders will give you good info on the unique restaurants in that area - sounds like you're not so interested in chains.

Should you duck into downtown Indy (probably the quickest way for you would be to take I-65 NORTH for about ten minutes to the downtown area), I'd recommend Harry and Izzy's (more family friendly sibling of world-reknown "St. Elmo's Steakhouse"), Shapiro's, or the R Bistro - and there are PLENTY of other good choices (many listed above).

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
459 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

I second Mcwill with Oaken Barrel . Great food and microbrews. MMmm. Gnawbone pale ale or Indiana Amber.

10. Re: A yummy place for a lunch stop.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 05:16