We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Retreat

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Retreat

I'm interested in retreating to a place with a metropolitan feel and had read that Indianapolis has a great downtown. I love luxury hotels, modern art, shopping, chocolate shops, etc. I would prefer to stay at a hotel where I could walk to most everything, including city parks, galleries, and a day spa. Would like to visit during a quiet weekend (i.e. no big sporting events) in May or June. Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks!

OTL

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Retreat

For luxury and service the Conrad downtown is top 25 in the USA. Lots to do downtown on your list but the Art museum is further away from downtown close to Butler University campus. Maybe take a cab. May will be packed with Race fans , but after that should be good. Check out indy.org the cities tourism web site for upcoming convention schedules which bring in a lot of visitors.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
346 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Retreat

If you are interested in galleries, First Friday is a monthly event with all the galleries in town having openings that evenings. Massachusetts Ave. is the center for a lot of First Friday actities, and there is a day spa there as well (anyone chime in with the name?) as well as plenty of bars, restaurants. June 4 is the date for the month's First Friday celebration. Also downtown is the Eiteljorg Museum of Native American and Indian Art.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Retreat

If you're trying to avoid major sporting events during your stay in Indianapolis, be aware that the infamous Indy 500 race will run Sunday, May 30. Leading up to this is a month filled with parades, foot races and parties. June might be a better time for you to visit. On June5 is a "Festival of Wine, Food and Fun" (Vintage Indiana).

Whatever you decide to do, especially if you're staying downtown, be sure to check out the city's public transit provider (IndyGo)'s website for trip planning assistance: www.indygo.net. Nearly all (27) of the system's 29 routes converge in the downtown area and the system's Red Line is a downtown circulator that can take you to all major downtown destinations. Unlimited rides with a day pass costs $4. The online trip planner can help you figure out which routes to use and at what times.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Indianapolis.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
365 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Retreat

You just described one of the advantages to visiting Indy...you can walk everywhere. If you want to avoid sporting events do not visit in May. Stay at the Conrad for ultimate luxury, visit the spa in the hotel or Studio 2000 (on the circle). Check out the Indy website to see what festivals are happening in June and try to coordinate your visit with something that interests you, we have some great ones in the summer. Although I like the effort of IndyGoGirl our public transportation leaves a bit to be desired and I would avoid since you can walk anywhere that is worth going to and if you don't feel like walking you can grab a cab.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Retreat

Conrad or Canterbury are probably the most high end 'luxury' hotels although there are a few (Omni, Marriott) that are very plush and have luxury suites. You might want to also check out 14 West Suites. They are a five-unit, apartment-style, suites hotel located above a wonderful restaurant. Each suite features washer/dryer, cordless phone, Wi-Fi, HDTV, full size kitchen appliances (including oven, microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator), CD player/alarm clock, remote controlled ceiling fan, and plush terry cloth bathrobes. The penthouse suite has housed some famous celebrities and has its own 50-person patio.

Mass Ave offers the chocolate, cupcake, wine shops along with some smaller art galleries. Studio 2000 is right on the circle (a few blocks from any of the hotels I mentioned) and offers high end spa services along with a hair studio and nail salon.

Check out visitindy.com for more ideas. I would avoid the month of May as it is very busy with the sporting events that you say you'd like to avoid.

Coconut Creek...
Level Contributor
214 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Retreat

I highly recommend the Indianapolis Art Museum and its splendid grounds.It has a fine range of paintings and sculpture from so many different periods and countries.Bus#38 operates frequent bus service to this special art museum.I also like the Eiteljorg Art Museum very much and walking along this city's Canal Walk.Recently,I spent a week here and I enjoyed Indianapolis even better the second time I visited.

7. Re: Weekend Retreat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 05:15