We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getaway this Sat, may 15. hotel advice please!

Cincinnati,ohio
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Topic
getaway this Sat, may 15. hotel advice please!

What is the best cheapest hotel in downtown Indy. Thanks

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: getaway this Sat, may 15. hotel advice please!

There is a Holiday Inn Express

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
462 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getaway this Sat, may 15. hotel advice please!

Hampton Inn , & Hilton Garden Inn. Since live here have not stayed at either. But are in great locations downtown close to restaurants , bars, shopping.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,591 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getaway this Sat, may 15. hotel advice please!

Given what your saying you might want to check out Priceline (particularly, but maybe also Hotwire too). Priceline can sometimes deliver fantastic deals on last minute bookings. I've paid as little as 25-30% of the rack rate, although ~50% is more the norm. Be aware, however, that something major going on Indy (particularly downtown) you won't find a deal on Priceline (or probably anywhere, including the hotels themselves).

Here's a few points I usually tell people about Priceline/Hotwire.

I tend to use Hotwire, when:

1) The hotel I get (or don't get) is important to me (based on location, amenities, etc).

2) I absolutely want a hotel no matter what (Priceline bids can fail and "lock" you out until it is too late).

3) For whatever reason I am booking far in advance (Priceline deals don't tend to occur months (weeks?) in advance as the hotels figure they still have lots of time sell rooms at the rack rate).

Generally Hotwire deals aren't as good as Priceline.

Priceline tends to work better in general (and for me) when:

1) It's a last minute booking and the hotels haven't had high demand. That's the main reason you can get a good deal on Priceline. The (semi) famous saying is that *nothing* is more stale than last night in a hotel room; you can sell day old bread, but you can't sell last night's stay in a hotel room.

2) Booking is "optional." I live about a 1-2 hour drive from Indy so having a room in Indy will often save me getting up early in the morning or driving home late at night - something I can do - but often prefer not to and will pay something to avoid.

3) The specific hotel, location, etc. is not particularly important. Note: you still can specify an area with Priceline, when I say "location" here I mean the specific location of the hotel within that area. (For example: the hotel where a seminar is or one very close as opposed to a hotel that might require a 15 or 20 minute walk to get to the seminar.)

If you think you'll want to check out either Hotwire and/or Priceline you should check out these two websites for tips, hints, tricks, lists of possible hotels, successful bids/prices, etc:

http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

and

http://www.betterbidding.com/

Hope this is helpful,

hlo

Edited: 11 May 2010, 15:40
4. Re: getaway this Sat, may 15. hotel advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2010, 06:24