We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

charlotte nc
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

Some friends are attending the race and invited me to come, so I'm wondering what the best area would be to stay in? A nice area convenient to where the race is held?

Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

At this point, any place you could find a room. Generally, either downtown (almost certainly 100% sold out) or the west side suburbs of Brownsburg, Plainfield, or Avon. I just did a quick Orbitz search and it looks like some of the Plainfield hotels have availability (these are close to/west of the new airport terminal). The Best Western Atrea just opened and is supposed to be nice, but I have not personally been inside. These hotels are also convenient to restaurants and shopping (Metropolis shopping center) and there is even a winery close to the hotel (CA grapes).

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

If there is a roomavailable in Plainfield TAKE IT asap!!. Nice area. As far as tranportation to and from race I think there will be a shuttle servicefrom the airport. for $20 round trip. Check out the IMS website for info. If you drive yourself expect loooong delays and to pay at least $20 to park

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

If you're having trouble finding rooms in Plainfield, there is a brand new hotel in Avon which has rooms available. I just checked. It is the Fairfield Inn and Suites, 317-271-9200. The drive isn't quiet as convenient from Avon as it is from Plainfield, but it looks like a very nice, new hotel.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

If you can stay downtown, STAY DOWNTOWN. It's by far the place to be during Race Week.

I'm sure the hotels say they're booked right now. Most downtown hotels say they're booked until the week or a few days before the race weekend, then they release rooms that have been turned back by larger groups or had been held for routine customers. If you've made it clear you want to be on a waiting list, and are willing to pay a fairly steep rate ($300/night and higher for the better hotels ...), you can almost surely get into a downtown hotel for Race Week.

If you have any social/golf club memberships, you may be able to leverage your way into The Columbia Club - a great little hotel in a club smack dab on The Circle (even without club memberships, it may be worth a call).

There are a bunch of hotels that have sprung up on the north side, and the south side of the city (north = the Carmel/Fishers area, south = the Greenwood area). While Plainfield is closer to the Speedway, there's more variety of restaurant/entertainment/shopping/whatever north and south (particularly north ...). I just checked Orbitz, and for the period from 5/27 through 5/31, there are a bunch of well priced, nice hotels on the north side (Sheraton @ Keystone at the Crossing, Doubletree, etc.), and

HOLD ON TO YOUR HAT - the Canterbury has rooms available downtown!! ($239 per night - a great rate for one of the nicest downtown hotels we have).

If you're o.k. with spending that much for lodging for your race trip - BOOK THE CANTERBURY ! !

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

Let me suggest a couple of links to check out for potential hotel rooms. One is www.visitindy.com - you'll find a 'button' or 'tab' that lists Indy 500 hotels or packages. That will tell you what hotels have availability and how much they are. Also, www.visitindy.com/500 lists some of the other events going on in May surrounding the race.

If you are not familiar with the city, the track is only a ten minute drive from the heart of downtown (to the north and west). There are also a number of hotels that may have room along 465 on the north and west side from 71st Street up to 86th Streets.

Downtown is always alive with activity, dining and bar options. The north side of town around Keystone and Castleton have a lot of shopping options too.

6. Re: Best area to stay in Indy for race/memorial weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis