We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Downtown

Illinoios
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Parking Downtown

I just got accepted for a hotel room on Priceline at the Dowtown Indianapolis Marriot for Monday, July 12th for $55. While I'm very happy to get a 4 star hotel at that price which was going for $240 on Expedia, I've read several reviews that parking is outrageous there at $28. I've also heard that the bellmen are very snooty, especially if you don't use the valet service, which is $36. I'm taking my 2 year old son to Indy for an overnight father/son trip to see the children's museum and zoo, and I don't want to stress over the added expense of parking and pompous hotel employees. Any advice on cheap downtown parking? I'm planning on just trying to park at a meter at 4 when we check in. They'll love us just walking up to the hotel instead of with our car! LOL. Too bad

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Downtown

Congratulations on the great rate - I think you'll really like that hotel! It's only a couple of blocks from the zoo and all of White River State Park (zoo/gardens, NCAA Hall of Champions, Indiana State Museum, IMAX, Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, the Lawn, & Victory Field - home of the Indianapolis Indians AAA baseball team). I'm so sorry some have claimed the bellmen are snooty there. I honestly have never faced that issue. I checked and valet service at the Marriott is $32 there for overnight and $28 for self-park. You might also check with Denison Parking (they have several garages downtown - which may be cheaper?) - you could also click on the parking link on indydt.com. The great news is parking is free at The Children's Museum and since you're so close to the zoo, you can walk there instead of paying the $5 parking fee there.

Have a great time and make sure you take your son to pet the sharks. Check the schedule as you go in - there are specific dolphin show times, elephant shows and bathing and giraffe feeding times.

Edited: 09 June 2010, 14:11
Illinoios
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Downtown

Thank you very much! I hope we have a good experience at the Marriot Hotel

Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Downtown

If you try parking at a meter, keep in mind that the meters become free after 6PM (not sure what time they come back to life). Meter parking can be tight over by the Marriot, especially if there is anything going on at the convention center. I would recommend looking for spaces north of the hotel in front of the state government office buildings. If you cannot find a spot on the street, I would personally bight the bullet and pay the Marriot for parking, I'm not sure you are going to do any better with the nearby garages.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
928 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Downtown

Not sure any garage will do much better than what the Marriott is charging. Circle Center Mall's World Wonders parking garage is usually one of the most affordable at they will be $20 for 12 -24 hours.

If you park at a meter, while they do become free after 6 p.m, I do believe there is a time limit during the day - and I can tell you from walking downtown daily, the meters are monitored and ticketed on a regular basis. Even if there is no time limit for you to move your car, you can only pay for two hours at a time. And those with time limits are monitored as well. One parking ticket will more than eat up any savings.

Please note that you are going to have to pay to park at the zoo as well. You can walk there from the Marriott but you won't have much fun if you are walking back from the zoo to feed the meters downtown every two hours.

Indy
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Downtown

I agree with the others. On the weekends, starting Friday at 6pm, parking at a meter is smart. It's free during the weekends. It's also free overnight, but once morning rolls around, parking meters start at 7am. So you'd have to get you and your son up at 7am and start feeding the meter. And many meters have 2 hour limits. Personally, I'd say it's not worth worry to feed the meter.

A couple other tips - save the Childrens Museum for the day you have the most time. It takes a full day to get through it. The zoo is nice, but it won't take a full day. Also, the zoo has a nice splash park. Bring a swimsuit and waterproof shoes for your little boy to play around in the fountains. It will be hot, and this may be the highlight for him at the zoo.

Enjoy your trip!

Indy
Level Contributor
146 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Downtown

Speaking of the Zoo, make sure you see the new Cheetah exhibit. We saw it for the first time this weekend and it is very well done. The zoo has 5 cheetahs, though not all will be on display at once. You get excellent views of the animals from three sides of the exhibit and the animals are young and very active. Because of the way the exhibit is laid out, you are very close to the animals as they approach the perimeter. Also included in your zoo ticket is the White River Gardens. The indoor portion of the gardens currently has their annual butterfly thing going on - lots of exotic butterflys that fly around free inside the conservatory - your son will probably love it.

Level Contributor
529 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Downtown

If you choose the parking garage at Circle Center, you can use the skywalks to reach the Marriott hotel. The garage on Maryland Street just west of Illinois Street, south side, is the closest. You won't even have to walk through the mall from that garage.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Downtown

we are staying at Springhill Suites on the last weekend of August for MotoGP. Can I leave my car overnight at the meter for free? What's the closest street with meters, hotel is on 601 West Washington Street, or should I just park at Government Center Washington St. Parking Facility which is $8 a day across the street?

Indy
Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Downtown

Tony in Cincy - there's public parking at White River State Park just across Washington Street from your hotel. It's outdoor parking, but overnight is just $10. It's limited parking, and may be closed during events at the park, but it's worth a shot.

10. Re: Parking Downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis
Recent Conversations