We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conner Prairie for adults?

too far from the...
Level Contributor
324 posts
330 reviews
Save Topic
Conner Prairie for adults?

Will be in the area without the kids and wondered if this would be fun for just the two of us?

I've read other reviews and it sounds like its a hands-on place, and yet a few said they went without their kids.

Your thoughts please?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Conner Prairie for adults?

Have you looked into Symphony on the Prarie? That is certainly enjoyable for adults.

I don't really know how to answer your question. It depends on you. If an agricultural living history museum set on several acres sounds interesting to you, then I'm sure you will enjoy it. My 80+ dad did when I took him a few years ago. He grew up on a farm, and liked seeing things that were familiar to him. However, I don't think it's someplace my husband and I would go without kids.

Indy
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conner Prairie for adults?

I like MissyMeg's suggestion on checking out Symphony on the Prairie. The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra plays Fri/Sat eves during the summer months. Even if you don't like symphonies, these are fun events. You can bring food/wine and enjoy a pleasant evening outdoors.

I've been to Connor Prairie museum with my husband, and we enjoyed it without kids, but we went during the Christmas candlelight tour. I'm a bit of a history buff too, though. Again, it all depends on taste...think of it as a very watered down version of Williamsburg.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
320 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conner Prairie for adults?

If you like history, it's well worth checking out. I've been there many times. I have never been there without my children, but I think if I was seeing it for the first time, I would enjoy it without them. If you have ever been to Williamsburg or Jamestown, it's basically the same type of thing. A lot of things are geared toward entertaining kids and helping them learn about the past, but I think it is just as interesting for adults.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Conner Prairie for adults?

I think it's a very interesting place and very engaging with the costumed interpreters. There's something for everyone (no matter the age). You can throw a tomahawk, make a candle or pottery or just visit with some of the well-informed historians/period actors.

In the fall, they have an apple shop (a must stop for cider or carmel apples and other goodies), Symphony on the Prairie is a wonderful and romantic activity. You could visit the park during the day, buy dinner there and reserve a picnic table or bring your own and lay on a blanket under the stars.

They also have rare breeds of animals and heirloom seeds for gardeners. And you can also go for a balloon ride & learn about aviation history then take a voyage 350 feet above the prairie in a tethered helium balloon. It commemorates the nation’s first successful air-mail delivery. Another thing I enjoy is watching the old time games that are played on the grounds.

I would wear walking shoes as you'll be walking in and around fields and depending on the weather it could be a bit dusty or muddy especially if you choose to chip in with the chores (believe it or not - some teens even do).

Follow the North Star is an incredible award-winning interactive experience in which participants witness what it was really like to be part of the Underground Railroad.

Edited: 26 July 2010, 19:29
5. Re: Conner Prairie for adults?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2011, 05:17