We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report / Follow-up to

Tennesssee
Level Contributor
92 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report / Follow-up to

Thank you to all who answered my question about spending a day in downtown Indy alone while my husband was in a conference. I wasn't able to do everything, but I had a wonderful day and so appreciate everyone who took the time to post. I found Indy to be a great city, very clean, attractive, interesting and walkable. I felt totally safe and comfortable as I explored on my own.

I loved the Soldiers and Sailors monument---very impressive and interesting! The small Eli Lilly Civil War museum in the basement was nice, also. I walked to the capital and went inside----beautiful! Then walked to the canal walk---what a great place in the middle of the city! Enjoyed strolling to the park along the path, then went to the Indiana State Museum. Learned a lot I didn't know about the state and its history (but not why ya'll are called "Hoosiers"), then decided that since the weather was so lovely I would not spend any more time inside and so continued my walk on the canal walk, enjoying observing the paddleboaters, bicycle surrey riders, a wedding party posing for pictures, and spent some time in the wonderful Medal of Honor display. Finally, I went back downtown and walked around, ending with a treat at the South Bend Chocolate Co, sitting outside and people watching.

I'm so glad I came along, and will look forward to visiting some of the other points of interest that I missed when we return next year.

Mentioned in this post
Indiana State Museum
Indiana State Museum
457 Reviews
Indianapolis, IN
Veterans Memorial Plaza
Fountains, Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
9-11 Memorial
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

Thanks for the feedback. All too often we give advice, suggestions etc. and then hear nothing. It is truly appeciated and should help later visitors as well.

Again, thanks,

hlo

indianapolis
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
463 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

Sounds like you enjoyed your trip. Come back anytime. There are lots of sites to see and things to do . !

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

I'm so glad you had a good time!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
831 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

Thanks for taking the time to tell ua bout your experience

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

So glad you enjoyed your visit - it's a great place to live.

No one seems to have a definitive answer about why folks here are called "Hoosiers" So, here are some of the more popular theories:

“Who’s yere?”

Hoosiers are well-known for their questioning, so it is possible the nickname originated because they could not pass a house without pulling the latchstring and crying out “Who’s yere (here)?”

“Huzza!”

In 1851, Amelia M. Murray reported that she heard the name Hoosier originate when settler’s shouted “Huzza!” when gaining victory over a marauding party from a neighboring state.

“Hoosier’s men”

Kentucky contractor Samuel Hoosier hired Indiana workers to build the Portland canal at Louisville. These superior laborers became known as “Hoosier’s men” or “Hoosiers” and carried the nickname back north with them. Unfortunately, no one has ever been able to prove the existence of Mr. Hoosier.

“Osier”

Before its use in America, Hoosier was used in England to refer to someone who lived in the hills or mountains. It may be related to the French osier, meaning someone from the countryside. This term is still commonly used in Eastern Canada.

“Whose ear?”

Indiana poet James Whitcomb Riley said the origin of the title “Hoosier” came from the pugnacious habits of the early settlers. “They were vicious fighters… [and] frequently bit off noses and ears. This happened so often that a settler coming into the barroom after a fight would see an ear on the floor and ask, ‘Whose ear?’”

“Hushers”

That Indiana rivermen were so spectacularly successful in trouncing or "hushing" their adversaries in the brawling that was then common that they became known as "hushers," and eventually Hoosiers.

“Hoosa”

A theory attributed to Gov. Joseph Wright derived Hoosier from an Indian word for corn, "hoosa." Indiana flatboatmen taking corn or maize to New Orleans came to be known as "hoosa men" or Hoosiers. Unfortunately, a careful search of Indian vocabularies failed to reveal any such word for corn.

Today the word is used to denote an Indiana native or resident. Although the origin is uncertain, one thing is clear about the word – “Hoosier” and hospitality go hand in hand.

Mentioned in this post
Kentucky
Kentucky
United States
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Portland
Portland
Indiana
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Tennesssee
Level Contributor
92 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

Thank you, IndianapolicC for those interesting and fun explanations of the origin of Hoosier! I enjoyed reading them.

7. Re: Trip Report / Follow-up to

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2011, 07:16