We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Akron, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

I'll be passing thru Indy on either Friday or Sat. on holiday weekend. Coming in from 70 on west to 70 east of Indy. Any suggestions?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

First, welcome to TA!

Regarding your question. You might check the Dept of Transportation website for construction zones (if any). The west side of 465 (i.e. 465 N&S on the west side of Indy) has had some major construction, but I'm not sure of the exact status. I don't remember anything going on with I-70, but it's been awhile since I've been in Indy and not sure I was on 70 the last time.

While you're talking race weekend, unless you're talking before or after the race, I don't think you'll see much traffic issues from the race crowd. You might have get more traffic problems from general Friday rush hour traffic and/or holiday weekend stuff than the race itself.

Do you know the time of day you'll be passing through? If you could arrange to get through before rush hour on Friday, that would probably make things smoother.

Lastly, avoiding downtown (skirting along the south side) is an option. Not sure it's worth it (and you won't be sure until it's too late . . . ), but it would certainly be possible. Probably wouldn't add more than ~15 minutes or so to your trip, but would probably reduce the chances of delays (from any downtown bottlenecks).

Hope this helps,

hlo

Akron, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Thank you for your info about the dept. of transportation. Alot of useful info on this site. I think I'll take 465 down around Indy and definitely avoid rush hour. Very kind of you to take the time to help me out. Have a great day.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
380 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

As long as your aren't coming thru at 7-9am or 4-6pm on Friday, I would just stay on I-70. The southside on I-465 during afternoon rush hour gets pretty bad too. Saturday you should be fine whenever you come thru staying on I -70. They are doing a lot of construction on the I-70 I-465 ramp system on the west side but if you stay on 70 you'll be fine.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
924 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Agree - stay on 70 through Indy. More traffic on 465 than on 70. Construction onf 465/70 on West Side but that is it for 70 construction inside the 465 loop.

Akron, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a good idea. I was mostly worried about in town heavy traffic because of the big race. But in rechecking the site maps of construction areas, you're right. I'll go straight thru.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
924 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Marie - there are four lanes on 70 through the City. The only stretch to watch for heavy traffic is the area where 65 and 70 run together East of downtown - between what the locals call the North Split and South Split. Coming in to downtown from the west on 70, you will need to merge over to the right to 70 East out of the North split - the stream of traffic cros-merging (70 from left to right, 65 from right to left) can get a bit hectic at times during rush hour, but you should be good on Saturday.

Its a lot like the west side of Akron where 76 runs between the interchange with 77 and the interchange with 224 and 277. Distance between seems about the same as well.

I would watch your speed in Indiana - State Police have been out the last few days and they seem to ramp it up for race weekend as well as Kentucky Derby weekend - and they have admitted to a seat belt enforcement blitz as well.

Edited: 23 May 2011, 19:39
Akron, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

thanks for the info, got it all written down. this has been so helpful. now I just need to reroute around Joplin, Mo. I leaving from Dallas, going to St. Louis to visit friends, then onto Akron. every bit of info helps. Thank you again

Akron, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

thank you, I can't get over how everyone has been so helpful. plan to go thru Indy instead of around because of construction. thanks

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,748 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Glad to help, that's what TA forums are about. Also, we appreciate your thank you.

All to often a poster puts up a question and gets specific responses, suggestions or requests for additional information and what to do you hear back form the original poster? Zip, nada, zilch, . . . basically a large silence. The responders end up without a clue whether the poster read the responses, appreciated the time taken to try to help, if the responses helped them in any way and we're sometimes left with the feeling that our efforts were either a complete waste and/or unappreciated.

Again, welcome to TA,

hlo

Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: traffice thru/around Indy on Friday/Sat.

Happy it worked out well for you! For future reference, in case this thread is found in a search by someone wanting similar info (navigating through Indy during a race weekend), because of where the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is located, you're better off just taking I-70 (if you're going east/west) or I-65 (if you're going north/south) and staying on those interstates through downtown Indy instead of trying to get off on I-465. The race traffic is actually the worst on I-465 on the westside and I-74 on the westside, while I-65 and I-70 tend to be okay all through town. You can probably drive on either one right before or after race time and barely know anything is going on!

Get answers to your questions about Indianapolis