We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

I'm heading to Indianapolis next summer for a conference and I want to know the best places to go and have a crazy time. I'll be staying downtown, the majority of my group are in their young 20's and I'm looking to have a lot of fun. Any point in the right direction would be great!

Looking for a good area for a bar crawl, live music, fun restaurants, any tips!!!!

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,493 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

First, welcome to TA!

Downtown certainly fits your bill, plenty of bars, restaurants, music, etc. and all are (generally) walkable.

Don't have a lot of time, but two other areas/clusters you might want to check out:

a) Mass Ave: located a on the northeast side of downtown (can walk, but it's a bit of a hoof, short cab ride), a few restaurants, bars and other entertainment type places located in a fairly compact area;

b) Broadripple: This is much further from downtown (definitely *not* walkable from downtown unless you're into hiking), this is more of a "college bar" type area, again restaurants, bars, etc with nightclub or two thrown in.

Beyond that, you might give a little more information about what you'd prefer to do "best places," and "crazy time" are a bit vague/subjective . . music (& what kind), comedy, fine-food, pool/darts, dancing, looking for good beer or wine selection, etc.

As I often tell new TA users more information in your question will get you more & better responses.

Hope this helps (and will try to get on later with more specifics),

hlo

Edited: 15 September 2011, 14:17
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

See above. Plenty to to eat/drink downtown. Most of the clubs are along or just off Meridian St south of Washington St. All walkable from the downtown hotels. One of the local favorite among all age groups is "Ike and Jonesy's". DJ and dancing. Another is The Slippery Noodle. It;s the oldest bar in the downtown area and has live blues music. Both a MUST visit in my opinion. The Wild Beaver Saloon is also popular with the young crowd. Ofcourse there are alson the chain places like Hard Rock Cafe and Jillians among others. Maryland Street is currently being revamped and made into a "European style" walk around area so I'm sure here will be some new places along there. Broad Ripple is about miles north of downtown. More choices for live music there. Mostly yonger groups in that area. ifheaded tht way best to take a cab. Parkinghard to find, at least on weekends

Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

Here's a helpful list of Downtown's bars/nightlife: www.indydt.com/searchresults.cfm…

Please let us know if you need anything! A big "Welcome to town" in advance! - Indianapolis Downtown Inc. www.indydt.com

Birmingham, Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

Yeah, I guess I'm mainly interested in the bar scene. I want a place where me and the group can get a bit rowdy, but not into much trouble.

A good environment to just get really trashed haha, I feel weird describing it this way, but it's what I'm looking for. Good beer, cheap beer, unusual ways to serve beer, it might not even matter as it's the people you're with that make the good time, but a good bar couldn't hurt.

Thanks!!!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

Ike and Jonesy's. Might also add the Ratzkellar to you list. If the Beer Garden is hope there and a band is playing it might be the best!!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
367 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

Go to the Piano bar, Howl at the Moon,...........Great Fun and It appears NO rules!!

Took at group of 21-24 year old there, I had a great time and so did they.

howlatthemoon.com/locations/location-indiana…

Birmingham, Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

Definitely will be checking out Rathskeller and their beer garden, probably the Broad Ripple area, and The Slippery Noodle.

That should keep us busy the 5 days or so we're in town.

Thanks everyone!!

Indianapolis...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

-If you're into piano bars we have Howl at the Moon on Georgia Street.

-Extensive long islands menu: Kilroy's

- Club/dancing: Bartini's

-Outdoor live music: Rathskeller (German Biergarten on Mass Ave - great cultural district walking distance from Downtown with several bars); speakeasy with unique and amazing drinks: Ball and Biscuit

-Outdoor seating with delicious breaded tenderloins (a Indiana specialty): Bourbon Street Distillery

Hope that wets your palate! Please let us know if you have any other questions. Hope you enjoy your visit to the Circle City!

9. Re: Downtown Indianapolis for Fun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 14:16