We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ont, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

The only affordable place listed is the Knights Inn at $120/nite. One review called it a "crack" motel. Is it a dump? the photos looked ok but can anyone offer any input? Most places are already full.

thanks for your help.

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

I assume you're referring to the Knights Inn on 21st St.? I can't speak specifically about this hotel, but I'm relatively familiar with the area and think you can do better for not much more than the quoted $120/night I saw for that weekend.

Given the proximity of the track to the airport and downtown, all hotels in those areas are able to charge astronomical rates on race weekends. If you're willing to stay a few miles to the north or northeast, you should be able to find something decent for less than $150/night. Try searching for hotels using either Fishers or Carmel as the location.

If something looks interesting, let us know and we'll try to give you an idea about the location and/or facility.

atj

Ont, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Actually there are 2 Holiday Inns that look promising; 1 in Anderson & 1 in Greenfield. Which is the better choice based on driving distance, nearby restaurants, safety of area?

Westfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Anderson is located northeast of Indy on I69. Probably 35 miles or so from the track. Greenfield is directly east of Indy on highway 40. Best guess is 25 miles to the track. Really not much difference in driving time to my thinking. Am not familiar with either of these towns so I can't comment on the area.

atj

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

I'm pretty sure the hotels aren't all filled up yet for f 1 weekend. Let me do some checking When are you coming in?? I think I can find someplace nicer/closer/cheaper. Looking forward to that weekend as I do for all races. Remember that is a holiday weekend for us. We have a couple Toronto ites (is that right?) coming down who stay at out house every year. have you been to the race before?? Let me know age, what your looking to do, etc and I'll help out.

Murfreesboro...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

I don't know if the Conrad is booked solid for the Formula One, but their rooms are only $900/night with a four night minimum.

For a little more, you can get the Presidential Suite for only $3,500/night.

:-)

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
427 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

I'd pick Greenfield over Anderson. Greenfield is about 10 miles east of Indy and the Holiday Inn Express is right off US 40 on State Road 9. It's a sleepy little town with not much going on but it is very safe.

Ont, Canada
Level Contributor
150 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Thanks everyone for your help! It's my friends husband and her teenage boys and now some more guys (9 in total) going to the race. The Holiday Inn in Anderson is under $100 a night with a pool. Anderson also seemed to have alot of restaurants too. Greenfield was more expensive. Driving is not a problem. The cheapest we found near the track was the Motel 6 Speedway for $108 ( but reviews didn't sound that great) We did find vacancies but as you can imagine, everything was over $200/night. Nothing is booked yet but probably by the end of the day. It's MUCH cheaper to buy tickets directly from the track then thru Formula 1 website.

The term we use is Toronto-nians, although if you ask someone in another province they might not be as kind :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Actually that Motel 6 is pretty nice, at least from the outside. It was remodeled about 2 - 3 years ago The address is 6330 Debonair Speedway, IN Local phone # 317-293-3220 You might check out The Motel 6 Airport at317-248-1233 I noticed sometimes that when you go to places like travelocity.com they show that there is NO VACANCY at some of the hotles listed. If you call the local numbers you can sometimes find a room. Try the LaQuinta at the airport at 317-247-4281. It's usually $89 a night but for F 1 weekend who knows. I don't think there is a pool at these place but there are close to the track Motel 6 Speedway about three miles airport about 6-7 Anderson is probably about an hour/hour and a half to the track. I69 is ususally pretty slow around rush hour during the week but should be ok for theweekend.

Indy
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Sounds like you've made your decision. For others who are still looking for a place to stay, I'd recommend one of our small inns/b&b's downtown.

Several are on the Old Northside (a 20 minute walk downtown, or 5 minute walk to Mass Ave.) They are not for partiers, but they are very nice small inns. (My husband and I stayed at Looking Glass Inn on our wedding night.) Breakfast is included and is fabulous.

You can find information about them by searching on Google. (Stone Soup Inn, Looking Glass Inn, The Villa, and Nestle Inn.) Looks like there is availability during Formula 1...as low as $85/nt. There could be a higher charge due to it being an event weekend, but worth checking out.

For transportation, you won't need a car. Take a limo from the airport, and a bus from downtown to the track. On raceday it's $15 or $20 roundtrip and well worth it.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
826 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: place to stay for the Forumla 1 race in July?

Did some checking today. Found the Best Value Inn and Suites at US 31 South and Thompson Road. They have several rooms left at $99 a night. Phome # 317-787-8341. About 15 miles to track. Straight south to Greenwood about 5 miles you'll find about any kind of restauarant you want. Most of the hotels are booked. The ones with rooms are charging about $100 more a night for Fri and Sat and have a two to three day min. Motel 6 Airport told me they have several room at $105 a night (smoking rooms only but you don't have to smoke)317-248-1231 Airport about 7 miles to track. Baack to The Value Inn and Suites. Original it was a Holiday Inn built about 1970. It was remodeled about 1990 and enclosed and became a HoliDome. I think it was sold and was a Ramada for a while. Not sure when it became Best Value. I assume it still has an indoor pool.