We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute Superbowl Housing

Which Indianapolis hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leesburg, VA
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Last minute Superbowl Housing

Hi,

My husband and his friend just brought Superbowl tickets. They plan to arrive on Saturday. Any recommendations for housing? They will be driving from Virginia. Should they stay in Ohio?

Thanks!

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
904 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

I think their issue is going to be the 3 or 4 night minimum most hotels are asking now.

if they are coming across 64 and up through Cincinnati, they can try Greensburg, IN and Shelbyville, IN. No "luxury" hotels there, but there would be rooms.

If they are coming across 70 through Columbus, Ohio options would be Richmond, IN (right at state line), New Castle, IN and Greenfield, IN. again nothing luxury, but there might be rooms.

My recommendation would be to be keep checking and keep calling hotels in case rooms open up at the last minute.

Kayak brings up the Holiday Inn Express East in Indy for $360 a night but nothing on the hotel website. That would be about 10 minutes from downtown (once you get out of downtown). At some point they have to consider paying an absurd price against having to drive 90 minutes or so to Cincy or Dayton.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 03:44
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

I know there has been a lot of talk around town about people renting out rooms from their own private homes for the Superbowl. I don't have a website to recommend, but maybe you could look into that.

Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

There are still hotel rooms available for the Super Bowl, they just take a little effort to find. You will probably arrive in Indiana on I-70 from Virginia. At last check most hotels closer than Greenfield are full. We checked the hotels from I-465 inward yesterday. At Greenfield, all hotels other than the Hampton have rooms. All hotels are requiring a three day package Fri-Sun, with rates in the 350-500 per night range. You can find a list of the hotels in the area on Expedia or Hotels.com but you should call the hotel directly to check availability. Many hotels are not listing on Expedia or Hotels.com due to high commissions.

If you choose to stay in other parts of the city the same plan can work. Most hotels from I-465 inward are either full or are charging upwards of $500/night, choose your poison! For a driver like yourself I would recommend staying on I-70, I-65, or I-74 in one of the outlying towns. You will not believe how fast and convenient it is to drive to downtown Indy if you are staying directly on an interstate that goes downtown.

Remember; Indianapolis is a pretty safe city with really good interstate access and little traffic compared to Virginia. Pray for good weather and enjoy your trip.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,337 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

I'm guessing they can do better than Ohio (which will mean a minimum drive getting close to 2 hours, perhaps more).

Take a look at Google maps, you'll find a fairly good number of smaller cities/towns within about an hour long drive from Indy. Some of them have been mentioned above (and I may repeat them), but here's a short list of some others off the top of my head (I've *not* mentioned those that I consider in the greater Indy metro area, but other people might consider so of those I've named to be so and and some might be close enough that they're doing the minimum stay stuff that Indy hotels are doing):

1) Towards the south: Franklin, Edinburgh, Columbus Seymour, Shelbyville, Greensburg, Mooresville, Martinsville, Bloomington, Spencer;

2) Towards the east: Greenfield, Rushville, Connersville New Castle, & Richmond (this is nearly to Ohio);

3) Towards the north: Anderson, Muncie, Kokomo, Frankfort, Lebanon;

4) Towards the west: Crawfordsville, Brownsburg, Avon, Danville, Greencastle.

Not all of these are on interstate highways, all have pretty good access to Indy, but might take a little longer to get on on the in bound/out bound drives.

I'm guessing that there are probably at least a hundred hotels (probably more) in the cities I've named above. Now some of these hotels will be dumps, others might be close enough they're doing the minimum stay thing, etc; but I would think (hope) that you can find a few options among the above cities.

Hope this helps & good luck,

hlo

Indiana
Level Contributor
12 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

I live near New Castle, which was mentioned above, and is only 50 minutes to Downtown Indianapolis. We are sold out of rooms, and so are the tiny towns along US40, which runs parallel to I70. It's an easy drive from Dayton, yes it's about 2 hours from Indy, but you should be able to save quite a bit of money. I would not look on the North Side, or West Side as it will add time to their initial trip here. Might want to check VRBO.com, as there may be some rentals available.

My mother In-Law lives on the East side of Indy and we're trying to convince her to rent out her large house for a night...she could make a nice chunk of change!

Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
971 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

If you are looking at Ohio Brookville is the western most town in Montgomery County (the county Dayton is in) it is right off of 70 and there are 3-4 hotels off the exit- Holiday Inn Express among them. Richmond, IN is 20 min closer to Indy there is a Comfort Inn there. Good Luck

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
786 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

The Hampton Inn in Greensburg, IN off of I-74 has rooms available starting at $179.00/night.

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
904 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

Just spent a few minutes searching the major hotel websites fr rooms for Saturday and Sunday night.

Fairfield Inn in Muncie near Ball State $179

Hampton Inn Kokomo $199

Hampton Inn Bloomington $229

Hampton Inn Crawfordsville $255

Choicehotels.com have several hotels available - $400/$500 in Indy, $200-$300 outside of Indy.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

There are still some very (relatively) cheap hotel rates in Terre Haute, IN, for Super Bowl Weekend (<$100 a night). It's an easy drive on I-70 that should take you just a little over an hour from Terre Haute to downtown Indy.

Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
501 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute Superbowl Housing

Try the KOA at exit 96 off I-70. This is west of Greenfield Indiana, but since the area is serviced by the Greenfield post office, their address is Greenfield Indiana. I just checked and they have four different cabins available. However, it appears they also have jumped on the 3-night min. stay bandwagon. This is a 20 min. drive to downtown Indy from this area.